Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of players listed for this expansion is 5-6.

But is it not the case that you can also play this expansion with 2-4 players? In which case, the number of players should be listed as 2-6...

I almost rejected the idea of getting this expansion because I'll never play with more than 4 people (due to my very small game group).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is not standalone - it must be played with the base game - which already covers the 2-4 players. Some of the other 5-6 player expansion are listed just the same as this.

For example - Settlers of Catan - which really only accomodates the 5th an 6th player and offers nothing to less than that. Starfarers of Catan's expansion does add some new elements that can be used in 3 and 4 player gmaes and is completely used in an unofficial 2-player variant. Yet both of these games still list the expansion as 5-6 players.

So it's 6 one way, half a dozen of another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Is the # of players listed for this expansion misleading
I don't think the OP is complaining about how the game is named, but instead referring to the pertinent BGG data. He is correct: If the expansion can be played by less than 5 players, the number of players listed should reflect that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
I don't think the OP is complaining about how the game is named, but instead referring to the pertinent BGG data. He is correct: If the expansion can be played by less than 5 players, the number of players listed should reflect that.

I understand what he is asking. And that is why I am responding that both the Catan expansions listed also have the BGG 5-6 player listing. One serves no purpose to 3-4 players in that it just adds additional duplicate components to bring in more players. The other actually adds new concepts to the game that could be used by 3-4 players. Yet BGG lists them all as for 5-6 players only.

Personally, I think it is more appropriate to list 5-6 players because it still is an expansion that is designed for 5-6 players even if 2-4 players choose to use the extra board and pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think it is more appropriate to list 5-6 players because it still is an expansion that is designed for 5-6 players even if 2-4 players choose to use the extra board and pieces.

If that is the case, I agree. But I was thinking when the rules explicitly allow the expansion to be played with less players. I haven't seen any of the aforementioned expansions, though, and I don't know what their rulebooks say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remain unconvinced.

The Settlers of Catan expansion for 5-6 players does not change the base game in any way - it truly is only for 5-6 players. Indeed, the rulebook for the Settlers of Catan expansion states that it is for 5-6 players.

However, the Pillars of the Earth expansion DOES change the base game. And furthermore, the rule book for it lists it as being for 2-6 players.

If the rule book itself states that, surely the BGG listing should reflect that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Personally, I think it is more appropriate to list 5-6 players because it still is an expansion that is designed for 5-6 players even if 2-4 players choose to use the extra board and pieces.

Actually, the expansion rules spend most of their time explaining how to incorporate the new board and cards into the standard 2-4 player game. The additions for 5-6 players are relatively minor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Actually, the expansion rules spend most of their time explaining how to incorporate the new board and cards into the standard 2-4 player game. The additions for 5-6 players are relatively minor.

OK. So submit a correction to the game as 2-6 players. Not a big deal! If someone doesn't like it, they can change it back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
SteveK2 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

OK. So submit a correction to the game as 2-6 players. Not a big deal! If someone doesn't like it, they can change it back.

There. I submitted the correction for you and it now states 2-6. well, at least until someone changes it back .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The title of the expansion itself is misleading. I didn't even realize until just now that this expansion provides rule changes to the 2-4 player game. The Settlers 5&6 expansion can only be used if you have 5 or 6 people, so the BGG data is correct on that, but this expansion can be played with less than 5 using rules that are not in the base game.

They should have come up with a better name for this expansion. It would be like naming A Clash of Kings, "A Game of Thrones 6 player expansion" or Bang! Dodge City, "Bang! 8 player expansion" It implies that's all there is to the expansion, when in fact that is not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.