Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first multi-player game last night and have a question: if you have 2 Tasks which resolve on the same Field, can you resolve them both on the same turn? I am fairly certain you can, as I believe only Combat is limited to once a turn, but I'm not 100% sure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny you should ask that.

We had the same thing happen in our last game.
The player had a basic blue quest and part of their epic quest to complete on the same spot. We played it that they could only do one on the turn he got there and then the other on the next turn.

I suppose he could have dropped the basic quest and completed the epic one if he didn't want to spend two turns on the same spot.

I believe it was on the tile that has the swirl on it. It was right in the center of the swirl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my understanding that you can take multiple actions on the same space. Fight once and then take as many actions as are allowed. Remember, however, that a player can only draw a tile from the bag once per turn (not per action).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar wrote:
It is my understanding that you can take multiple actions on the same space. Fight once and then take as many actions as are allowed. Remember, however, that a player can only draw a tile from the bag once per turn (not per action).

So the correct way to play my example would be to move to the coordinate and fight the creature (it was a ghoul I think) that was part of the epic quest line. If the battle was successful he would draw a new tile from the bag (for furthering the epic quest) and then resolve the blue basic quest (that did not contain combat) but not draw a new tile from the bag for completing that quest (since one had already been drawn that turn).

Had the battle against the creature not been successful he could have still completed the standard blue quest and then drawn a new tile.

Sound good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still new to the game (and assembling a good idea of the rules from all the various sources) but I think your summary of the turn is exactly right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vaughn wrote:
Skadar wrote:

So the correct way to play my example would be to move to the coordinate and fight the creature (it was a ghoul I think) that was part of the epic quest line. If the battle was successful he would draw a new tile from the bag (for furthering the epic quest) and then resolve the blue basic quest (that did not contain combat) but not draw a new tile from the bag for completing that quest (since one had already been drawn that turn).

Had the battle against the creature not been successful he could have still completed the standard blue quest and then drawn a new tile.

Sound good?

Close! The only error as written here is with the unsuccessful combat. As per page 8 of the Under the Shadow of the Dragon rules (which are much more clearly written): "If you lose in combat, you may not undertake further actions in this turn; however, on subsequent turns you may act as you like. You may fight the creature again on your next turn, or you may simply proceed." In other words, you must successfully defeat the creature before you can carry out any further actions on that particular space. Enjoy this great game, and if you can get hold of the Under the Shadow of the Dragon expansion, it adds to the fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Joshua, I forgot that a failed combat prevents further actions.

Could he instead have completed the basic blue quest *before* attempting the combat on the epic quest or do all combats have to be done first (even if they are quest combats)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa Tom Pellitieri
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any combat must be resolved before you can do anything else in the space. Enemies are obstacles that must be overcome as part of the quest.

This is why you don't want to rush off to start a quest. Once those Servants of the Nameless One start showing up, you have a lot more fighting to do...

--Tom Pellitieri

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tom.

I've got the Shadow of the Dragon and I'll be cracking that open soon, at the very least I'll read through the manual. I'm not ready to add it to the base game just yet. I want to try to beat the game with the hidden tiles still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar wrote:
Remember, however, that a player can only draw a tile from the bag once per turn (not per action).

This is a rule mentioned in one of the expansions not the base game... or it could be a variant...

The base game rules don't appear to set a limit to the number of tiles drawn per turn.... a tile is drawn every time another tile is picked up from the board or discarded from each player's card.

I haven't played the game often enough, but would drawing one tile per turn slow down the game much? make completing tasks/quests too difficult?

As for the original question of the thread... pretty much answered above... all combat resolved first, if defeated no further actions can be taken. If no combat or combat resolved victoriously, then you can take multiple actions that are possible/legitimate... ie it is possible to complete multiple tasks, pick-up new tasks, discard/abandon tiles in the clearing etc, in the same turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdafilli wrote:
The base game rules don't appear to set a limit to the number of tiles drawn per turn.... a tile is drawn every time another tile is picked up from the board or discarded from each player's card.

We do not have the expansions, but this is how we play the base game too. We think this is how the rules read... we draw a tile for every tile drawn from the board or discarded from the player's card. If we do this twice on a turn because we can resolve two tasks on that space, then we draw two tiles, one for each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either way, drawing per turn or per action, doesn't really change anything except speeding (or slowing) the game a bit to your liking. Personally, I suppose I would rather default to the simpler of the two rules, which is "draw a tile whenever a tile is removed from a playing surface".

Oh, and last night I opened my copy of Under the Shadow of the Dragon. Yes, the rules are MUCH clearer in the expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Staber
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Vaughn wrote:
Thanks Joshua, I forgot that a failed combat prevents further actions.

Could he instead have completed the basic blue quest *before* attempting the combat on the epic quest or do all combats have to be done first (even if they are quest combats)?

There seems to be am mistake in the English rules: Failed combat does NOT prevent further actions.

See the official FAQ for the game:

http://www.pegasus.de/153.html

The relevant paragraph is 7

I've tried to translate it into English in this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/862715#862715

Matthias

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.