Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jensen
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've posted a complete game play review of Guadalcanal with 8 photos. Enjoy.

http://www.axisandallies.org/node/317

Next up will be Tips and Tactics, maybe on Wednesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice writeup, David.

From your playing so far, do you have the sense that transports become the most important units in the game in terms of most vital to have and most vital to target? From the piece mix, it doesn't look as though there are a great many of transports that can be lost before things start getting critical.

Adm. Turner apparently was of this opinion since he fled with his transports half-unloaded leaving the Marines on Guad with few supplies due to the threat of Japanese attack.

It sounds like a very interesting balancing act.

When I first read about this design in Larry Harris' BGG interview Jan '06, he talked about a system wherein any vessel larger than a destroyer would require payment of a points cost for commitment to battle--as opposed to a "building cost."

His reasoning was that this campaign occurred in a relatively short time span compared to standard A&A, and commands only had the assets available that were already built; the difficulty was in deciding when to commit heavy units for a main effort, and when to husband one's finite supply of capital ships.

From your writeup, I get the impression that this idea has been changed in the published version. Is that so, or is the "commitment cost" reflected in how much supply must be expended to commit, say, a battleship or carrier with its air group?

Looking forward to the game. I hope it's not too long delayed in transit. Thanks for all the info you're providing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First, yes, transports are very important and before the end of the game you will be "chipping" them up, its really not that big of a deal.

As for targeting transports, believe it or not, it is not easy to destroy transports unless they are the only unit in the sea zone or if you have a massive attack. The reason being that transports are 5th on the hit results. When you don't get a direct hit on something, then you wrap around to the beginning again, this means that destroyers and cruisers get destroyed first, followed by aircraft carriers and battleships.

It sounds to me as if the commitment dynamic has changed into both reinforcement points and deployment. Each turn you get reinforcement points (not money) and you must spend it all, it does not carry over to the next round. Furthermore, after you place your reinforcements on the home base you can deploy it as far as 3 spaces away from the home base (on your edge) if you pay the specified amount of supplies per ship. It can make for an interesting game when 3 subs suddenly pop up on your side of the map!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.