Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris K
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been eyeing both of these games closely and plan to purchase one of them soon, and like all dilemmas it's hard to choose which one to go with.

They both seem to fit what I am looking for--that is, they both seem like nice, light offerings of fantasy adventuring with some luck (sounds like Talisman has comparably more however).

Mechanics-wise, it is my understanding that these games aren't similar to one another. I understand that Heroscape is more of a direct conflict kind of game compared to Talisman...that's about all I know!

Which would you choose between the two and why?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mechanics in these two games is really in no way, shape, or form similar. They both have the fantasy element...so I guess that is something similar.

Heroscape can be be described as a wargame, with the entire game being based around direct conlict. It's a kill or be killed game.

Talisman, on the other hand, is a board game RPG. You quest, you kill stuff, and you grow your character. This can be a longer game, so keep that in mind.

I'd 100% go for Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) for tons of reasons, the simplest being that the entire game is in the box. That's not to say that there isn't a full game in a Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie or Heroscape Master Set: Swarm of the Marro box, but there are so many expansions that, financially, Talisman is the obvious choice to me. If money isn't an issue... I don't know, I'd still probably go with Talisman.

EDIT: Additions to comment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I don't even have to pause here.

I'd play Heroscape in a heartbeat. Even the basic game rocks Talisman's world.

But I have to agree - other than a fantasy theme, they aren't similar at all. But Heroscape for me, EVERY time.

My reasons are Heroscape is tactical and offers options. In Talisman, you have one choice per turn usually. Heroscape allows variety and amazing theme. Talisman is generic and while the theme is there - it's not that interesting. And component-wise, Heroscape is better than almost any other game on the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, thanks so much for the replies!

Based on your replies, it sounds like I've succeeded in creating a veritable "apples to oranges" scenario!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does replay value affect your decision?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing which seems to have not been mentioned...HeroScape is 2 player. There are rules and ways to team up, but not nearly as satisfying.

Talisman goes 2-6 players.

I choose Talisman for me...but make no suggestion for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:
Does replay value affect your decision?

Well, in this case I would definitely say it does. This may be one of my last game purchases this year (*sniff*), as Christmas gifts will suck more money out of my already barren wallet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ozjesting wrote:
The other thing which seems to have not been mentioned...HeroScape is 2 player. There are rules and ways to team up, but not nearly as satisfying.

Talisman goes 2-6 players.

I choose Talisman for me...but make no suggestion for you

Oh, very interesting--I was not aware that Heroscape plays best exclusively with 2 players!

To be honest, I do play quite a bit of games with only one other person, but having the ability to scale is always a plus in my book.

Just one more factor to consider, eh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Although you can play Heroscape with more players, you really want expansions by that stage. It really is a miniatures wargame - and a pretty good one at that.

My biggest problem with Heroscape is simply the set-up and pack-up time: it's overlong compared to the game length. If you can leave it set up, fine... but otherwise it takes far, far longer than Battlelore (which is noted for its disparity).

I really enjoy Talisman, but it's not a particularly deep game. Rather a light and fun fantasy adventure game.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately for Talisman, the only real choice you make each turn is whether you want to go left or right, whereas with Heroscape you have a whole tactical situation to consider.

I would go with Heroscape, I hated Talisman back in the 80's and the system hasn't evolved at all as far as I can tell. Heroscape, with all of its lightness and randomness, at least is informed by modern game design sensibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quiet aside as it has come up twice now in this thread...there is more than "one decision" to make in Talisman...and sometimes even if there WERE only the choice of "right or left" (ignoring the multitude of ways that this comment could be false) it is still a "tactical" choice by definition, and many other variables will enter into the risk/reward management of the game.

I am not suggesting Talisman is "deep"...it is as merric says, a fun, light adventure game. But I find it disingenuous to keep writing it off as a one decision game.

I also like HeroScape mind you...but if it were compared at a tactical level to a "proper" minis war game, I expect that that it would be sneered at as well.

But as to the OPs decision...it really is 2 very different games you are choosing between. But given that...perhaps it IS Talisman after all I would suggest...as you can only choose "left or right" in this decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I haven't played 4th ed. Talisman, but I've played 2nd and 3rd. I think

I'd choose Heroscape except for the barren wallet issue. On the other hand, you could buy it and then put expansions on your Christmas list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wittdooley wrote:
I'd 100% go for Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) for tons of reasons, the simplest being that the entire game is in the box.

...for the time being. How long is it going to take for buttloads of expansions to come out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'd choose Heroscape as it has theme coming out the wazoo.. lot's of expansion potential (if you choose to fall into that trap) and I actually do think it plays well with more than 2. I've had great games with 3 and 4 players in to-the-death battles as well as team scenarios. Heroscape is a pretty open system and you can use the terrain and your imagination to come up with a lot of interesting scenarios. Definitely recommended.

The biggest knocks are that it takes too much time to set up... exaggerated IMO as it takes 10 minutes tops if you all click and build together. Puerto Rico and plenty of other Euro games can take just as long and don't look nearly as interesting when they are set up. The other argument is that it's a money pit... true only if you let it. A couple copies of the base game and an expansion or two will give you more than enough variety to get 99% of the fun out of the game. It isn't necessary to get all the expansions at all. It's actually one of the cheapest miniature games as it's VERY playable with just the basic game setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... I've been playing 3 and 4 player Heroscape games. Good to know that it's only a 2 player game -- I'll have to break it to the guys.

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fink
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like both games. I think even without expansion, Heroscape may have more replay value along with a more robust strategic game. Talisman, though, oozes with fantasy flavor, loot collecting, and a general sense of a plot advancing. It is apples and oranges, though.

My final recommendation is... Talisman. Hasbro will be shoveling Heroscape around for a long time. Heck, they bothered to update it recently with edition two. Talisman, though, will become a limited print unless people take notice. You'd be supporting the smaller craft game industry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
themothman421 wrote:
Which would you choose between the two and why?

Thanks in advance for your input!
1st off - both games are very blatant as to what they offer :
I'm sure, even based on whatever little you've read and seen about both games, that you know which one you would prefer, without consulting BGG.

2nd - Talisman is a 20 year old game.
And it plays like one.
It is clunky, overlong, roll-and-move too-long-for-what-it-is 80's Games Workshop.
Heroscape is an amazingly elegant, 21st century distillation of over 20 years of fantasy miniatures battle games. It is remarkably flexible and customizable, and supports from 2 to 6 players EASILY.

It's not even a contest, in any objective comparison in my mind.

[Matrix] But you already know that, don't you? [/Matrix]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Chris-

You really should own both games (for all the above reasons). You just need to own HeroScape first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Boersma
Australia
Clyde North
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape without even having to think. A much better game (even though it's hard to compare the two... if asked to play I would pick Heroscape every time)

As for only being 2 player?? What rubbish. Heroscape scales easily from 2-6 (or more depending on the map) It contains good tactical decisions both in recruitment of your army and in playing them. There are expansions, but they are not required (ie. you have the full game out of the box... but you can add extra characters if you wish.)

Check out www.heroscapers.com if you want to know more.

Seriously, it's not even a choice. Talisman has to be one of the most overrated games of all time... in my opinion of course.

Heroscape hands down.

Ben.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Olsen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Talisman,

when you like character development and also if you like the classical approach of fantasy roleplay.
Heroquest more or less represents a fantasy wargame. And if you like to get involved in this stuff, then BattleLore is the better choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Talisman all the way!

Keep in mind . . . I'm 31 years old and nostalgic.

Plus, keep in mind . . . Heroscape is a bit of a very light wargame but I own wargames like War of the Ring, Combat Commander: Europe, Commands & Colors Ancients, and Warmachine, all that I would MUCH prefer to play over Heroscape.

So what I'm saying is . . . my opinion is pointless to you as my point of view is likely very different than yours. That goes for every other opinion on this page.

Question really comes down to . . . do you want a light wargame or a roll-and-move beer-and-pretzels "take that" dice-a-thon?

ps- I'm with Mr. S. If you can afford to get into Heroscape, I think you can snag a copy of $40 Talisman for those beer-and-pretzel nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raindog
Norway
Elverum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape!

This game is so simple, so much fun, so elegant, packed with wonderful pieces, so cheap.
One of the best games ever.
Heroscape is what ASL should have been! (now I am getting many new friends, I guess)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've got the 3rd edition of Talisman with expansions and to be honest, even my 8yr old has lost interest. We were given by a work colleague when he emigrated.

We were probably expecting more from than its supposed to give. My son regularly beats me at simpler but (slightly) more thought requiring and quicker games like LotR Confrontation, Lost Cities, Wings of War. We both found that Talisman just didn't scratch the same itch, if you know what I mean. To us it is light in the same way that Ludo is light. But with a lot more counters and cards to sort out. I know theres plenty of people here who will disagree but thats how we feel about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
badge
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimately, it comes down to which experience you're looking for--they are both great games in their own right, but what they provide doesn't really overlap.

Heroscape is great if you like the idea of epoch-spanning table-top battles. Vikings vs. robots in a knock-down, drag-out fight to the finish.

Talisman is great if you want a fantasy adventure in which you play a single character who travels the land, fights monsters and meets fantastic creatures. Kind of like an elaborate, multi-player 'find your own adventure' book.

Comparing the mechanics of the two games (Heroscape is modern and clean while Talisman is antique and clunky) is a silly exercise as they each deliver a unique experience that the other can't give you.

They are both fine games; in the end it comes down not to which is the 'better' game, but which experience you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.