Subject: Michael Doyle's New Board is Fantastic! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep looking back at Michael Doyle's blog (Which Devin Smith so kindly pointed out) . . .

http://mdoyle.blogspot.com/

. . . because it looks so rich . . . ! Any hope of a desktop background?

KJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you actually click on the board corner detail to get a great view of the board. Not only do the colors have good contrast, but they also have unique texture. I love how the Tower spaces are a fine mosaic of mother-of-pearl . . .

The combo really makes each type of space pop off the board individually. Look for the woods, and easily find it anywhere!

The Tower looks constructed of pearlescent blocks. . . the desert's tigers-eye looks full of sunsets and mirages . . . . the tundra has ice-crystals of diamond . . . the dappled plains . . . the soupy marsh . . .

Seriously, check out the detailed image!

Malachite and tigers-eye. . . if this printing of Titan pulls together nicely, I'm sure Valley Games could have a charity auction of a real gemstone board . . . kiss

KJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the board's not bad. I still think it's too dark, though.

Now, the counters, on the other hand... soblue Makes me glad I have a copy of the old version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it confusing that the Woods are green and the brush is more of a brownish color. That's just the opposite of the original Titan board. Personally, I'd rather see a more plain main board and more colorful fancy battle boards and counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it too dark. Granted, the whole image vs. real board thing is hard to compare. Will the printed board have the same luminescent quality to it? Will the spaces use a foil ink, and how well will that hold up to moving counters around during the game. A pretty board has no value if the ink wears off after a single session.

Seeing digital representations of the components is one thing. Seeing the final product will be what sells this game to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AJ,NTSA...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too find the board image too dark. Hopefully the actual product will look better (ie. lighter shades and easier on the eyes).

I never had a problem with the old board colours used but Mr. Doyle on his blog seems to. He thinks the original board was very badly designed (!?), while I think DAT's board was a great design and loved the border arches (on the original).

The new 'border arches' are not an improvement, the current setup seems designed to confuse new players.

For me the round counters (not the map) is still the biggest turn off with the 'new' Titan. Yet to see the final counter art.

Note: I live about 10 minutes away from Rik and Torbin and Valley Games, have played games with them. Great gang.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompcat wrote:
I keep looking back at Michael Doyle's blog (Which Devin Smith so kindly pointed out) . . .

http://mdoyle.blogspot.com/

. . . because it looks so rich . . . ! Any hope of a desktop background?

KJ

I totally agree. The old board worked and was cool in a 1970's way, but the new board is stunning.

I think there's an expectation of board games to look a certain way, and Mike Doyle is really pushing that boundry. So much so that his board designs don't even look like board games at first glance.

Another great example is his El Capitan board. The way the various ports don't quite line up in a perfectly even grid, the texture of the blue cloth back ground, the detail of the map of the port paired with a painting of what that port looks like, and everything else about the board combine to make an unbelievably cool playing surface. Yet it doesn't have the rigid geometrical layout that is expected of a game. Yet once you understand the conventions he uses, it's a completely practical game board as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Day
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Love the game. The new board looks very nice to me. I doubt I will buy a new one when the old one works just fine. Espcially since I customized my box with a foam insert to hold and organize all my markers. Makes it very easy to set up and keep track of the graveyard. I am really glad this game is getting a reprint though. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.