Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd be interested, pending, of course design and rules explication. I'd offer that, and I'm sure you've already thought of this, if you're using 5 different races, give each one an innate element, one that their race is, at least at the beginning, more able to use than the other races.

From there, you could have multiple ways to progress. Say each of these races has their innate ability, that gives you the upper hand, but levels off later in the game, whereas each race's opposite element (fire water, etc.) becomes their most powerful endgame, even if it is harder to develop. Then your 5th race, without an opposite, is your balanced group.

It seems like, for a game like this, a set amount of play turns would be essential. Maybe make it a combination of area control + conquest scoring + resources scoring. Maybe complicated, but I don't claim to be any kind of designer.

Anyways, after that rant, I think this could be really cool. I'm a sucker for pretty art. If it's going to be Ameritrash, pretty art is a must.

Well, cool. Good luck!

Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Wizard Kings.

Hex map, recruiting creatures, simple battle rules, conquering towns to get more gold to build more creatures. But still, there's room for more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I dont think wizard kings really catches what I meant.
This one would contain a hero with roleplaying aspect (getting levels) and improving. The combat would be also played on a special set of maps as in Titan.

Yes there are schools of magic (Life, Death..) and each nation would have it's own preferred school (as well as preferred terrain)

Plus neutral units, that could be conquered or hired - affected by racial attitude towards your nation (Orc nation would recruit Wyverns at wyvern's nest location easier than elfes for example)

This system does not use any form of gold. There is a different way for recruiting armies, building new towns and structures ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pei Kwong Han
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like the computer game "Heroes of Might & Magic", i am interested ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't Quest for the Dragonlords kind of fit this bill? Not that I'm suggesting there's not room for more fantasy wargames!

I just think it's important to think about exactly what kind of a game it's going to be and what niche it fits into--all the designs I dabble with are fantasy-themed (because that's the theme that appeals to me), but I think it's often the case that designers who start out with a fantasy theme just keep throwing stuff into it because they want to, without really giving a thought to the gameplay.

You don't want to give yourself a free pass on the issues of play length and player dead time just because you're in love with your fantasy world, because the players certainly won't.

But good luck with it!

EDIT: Took out some bad grammar then rambled for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes Age of Wonders/Heroes of Might and Magic video game principles mixed up with Titan Board game.

The rules have two different play styles that has different game times. One is faster (with faster recruiting, spell research.. and the second one with slower pace. First one should take up to 2 hours, the second one up to 3-5 hours)

The fantasy theme is there to provide wider range of units. Basic medieval theme wouldn't fit really. It can't have 10 different knight and 10 different archer units if it wants to be a light wargame. In addition the fantasy theme is needed for the spell system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.