Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I recently learned Mahjong and would love to get a set for myself.

I was told I should be looking for an American version as it has numbers on it.

I would also like it to be pretty eye appealing. (pretty tiles)

It has to have a case that will store everything if possible.

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

I am going to look on ebay, but if there is a place to get a nice new set out there that would be good too.

Thanks,

Wayne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Luckily for me, My FLGS(Great Hall Games) has a wide assortment. But I did buy a set form this site a few years back, they have a wide assortment of pretty stuff.

Where the Wind Blows

//KONG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Well, at least it's not raining.
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to Chinatown in a major city that has one. You don't need an "American version". I'm certain you can find rules and scoring variations in English all over the Internet.

And, there's only 9 numbers to learn. It's not hard.

One is a single slash, like a hyphen -

Two is a double slash, like an equals sign =

Three is a triple slash, like a combination of the two above

So, it's only 4 through 9 that you need to learn. How hard is that? Find out, make a poster, and play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought ours at a local toy store, but since then I've seen that ebay has some terrific looking sets at some pretty good prices. Every set that I have seen has some badly translated rules. So, I would suggest sending away for one or more of the Wright-Patterson rules. Which are clearly written and fun to play.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Game Go has some very nice sets for sale. As for the rules, I agree that the ones that come with almost every commercial set I've seen are utterly incomprehensible. However, the rules as presented in Miscellaneous Game Book are quite well-written and lucid. I probably have a sample I could e-mail you.

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
http://www.ymimports.com/Mahjong/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:

This is my suggestion, too. I bought a very nice set and they're not that expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
These will be my next set. Love the black tiles. WIll match my copy of Lectio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Reprint wrote:
Go to Chinatown in a major city that has one. You don't need an "American version"...

...unless, of course, you need an American version. Most Chinese sets, for example, don't have jokers which are required in some types of Mah-Jongg. only Japanese sets have "red fives," et cetera. If you're playing "Western" Mah-Jonng (NMJL, American, Wright-Patterson) you need a 152-tile set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Morris
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
Reprint wrote:
Go to Chinatown in a major city that has one. You don't need an "American version"...

...unless, of course, you need an American version. Most Chinese sets, for example, don't have jokers which are required in some types of Mah-Jongg. only Japanese sets have "red fives," et cetera. If you're playing "Western" Mah-Jonng (NMJL, American, Wright-Patterson) you need a 152-tile set.

This was the first thing I was going to suggest. First of all find out what Mahjongg you were playing. If there were Jokers and rails to put your tiles on, then you need to pick up an "American" set. If you were playing with "flowers" and (usually) without any rails, then you were playing a "Chinese" set, and these really come in two flavors, one with english numbers and characters on them and ones without. The suggestion to go into Chinatown and find a set is my first suggestion as well. I picked up my set (with english characters) in the gift shop in the Chinese cultural center in downtown Calgary.

And having english numbers and letters on the set makes it easier to introduce the game to non gamers. My parents will never play a set which doesn't have english on it. They're old and Chinese scares the bejebus out of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I picked up a decent 'western' set of 148 tiles of Mahjong at Border Books. They also have a very nice set of Rummikub too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Well, at least it's not raining.
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
Reprint wrote:

I did not realize that there are variant sets. I'm only used to Chinese Mah-Johng, as that is what I was taught on. I'm used to the 4 winds, the flowers and the seasons, the green banks, the red clocks, the "blackboards" and all, and I did not find learning to count in Chinese all that hard, at least up to nine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Reprint wrote:
I did not realize that there are variant sets. I'm only used to Chinese Mah-Johng, as that is what I was taught on...

Yeah, a lot of people don't know that. Most people are familiar with one kind of Mah-Jongg and that's it. If you buy an "American" set (tip: ask if it has jokers or not) you can play almost anything by leaving out the jokers later. If all you want to play is Chinese, a smaller set will do, but it's nice to have the option.

Anyway, Sloperama (http://www.sloperama.com/mjfaq.html) has more info about the varieties, including a helpful "what kind of Mah-Jongg do we play" quiz.

Android wrote:
If you were playing with "flowers" and (usually) without any rails, then you were playing a "Chinese" set...

American Mah-Jongg (NMJL and W-P) have flowers too. Asking if there are rails or not is a good question though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost all 'Chinese' sets that are commerically avaible use the framed white dragon, and have a set of 4 blank tiles that can be used as jokers, so it matters little. Unless you get a really old set, which just uses blank tiles for the white dragon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Hwang
United States
Elmsford
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprint wrote:
...I did not find learning to count in Chinese all that hard, at least up to nine.

ten looks like: +

after that, it's a cycle

eleven: +-
twelve: +=

twenty: =+
twenty one: =+-

etc.

with this, you now know up to 99!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
masaakunokouchi wrote:
Almost all 'Chinese' sets...have a set of 4 blank tiles that can be used as jokers, so it matters little.

Unless you buy a 144-tile set that doesn't have those four blank tiles, and then you're stuck again. Or if you need eight jokers, which is what a standard Western set has. Or, if you're playing Japanese Mah-jongg how would know which of the red fives those blank tiles are. Or if you're playing something like Vietnamese, which has 160 tiles to a set.

Again, the best thing to do is to buy a set appropriate for the type of Mah-Jongg you are playing. Don't assume it is without checking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.