Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, this game has been around for a while, but I've only recently got my first copy. And like most people who are first introduced to Settlers, I've become addicted.

Now, I'm not sure where I got this idea, but I was always under the impression that the robber could only move to an adjacent hex (except for desert and water).

However after playing the computer version, I've recently discovered to my surprise that I have been playing it wrong. The robber can jump anywhere! :0

It seems to me though, that the way I've been playing makes more sense. It limits the robber's choices and allows the players to prepare somewhat for a robber attack. Is this just my inexperience talking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Playing the game wrong
jttm (#46911),

Your way may let players "prepare" but it screws over whoever it is near because it it unlikly to move away to the other side of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
jttm (#46911),

Imagine this sort of setup. The robber starts on the desert square which is quite near a six being used by player A, there is also an eight over on the other side of the board being used by player B.

In your game player B would have a quite easy time ensuring that the robber is affecting player A a fair percentage of the time and that player B would never be affected.

Moving it only one hex at a time unbalances the game compared to the only restriction on placement being that it must move off the current hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen (#46922),

Well, assuming there are only 2 players, you're probably right. But there are other players who will be looking after their own interests and trying to stop Player B from becoming too powerful.

Also, since 7's come up pretty often, I've seen the robber circulate all over the board. Its difficult for just one player to control it. Player A gets his fair share of control too.

In any case, it was just a point to consider. I'm usually against playing variants of successful games, so I'll eventually go back to the correct rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.