Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing more dice games in my group this year which is why I picked this game up. Also, I have Risk Express which is very good, so my hopes were that this was also going to be a fast and fun dice game. Everyone chuckled when I brought this one out last night and politely picked other games to play. But during the evening I kept getting questions like, Does it really play fast? What are the houses for? and comments about the quality of the dice. So when finally someone started up the Settlers dice game, I figured the time was now or never, and bravely brought a Monopoly game to the table! I played a side game of Monopoly Express with one other player while we both played in a 4-player game of Settlers dice game.

A few times I got to roll the dice for both games at the same time cool

Things started off poorly for me, with 3 go to jail dice in my very first roll! Ouch. But after several rounds, I was over $10,000 while the other ersatz Mr. Monopoly was around half of that. Finally I made it to $15,500 and smugly pushed the dice bowl at him, stating, "Well, if you can get a hotel, the game is yours!" (We played by the original game rules that all players get the same number of turns, not by the new rules which state the game ends immediately when one player hits $15,000.)

So he rolls. Gets a color group. So he adds the hotel die. Rolls again. Gets a house. $1000. Rolls again. Gets another one. But now he's got 2 jails and just rolled his third, but also the Get Out of Jail die. We stop and discuss how to play it. The rules are very clear that the jail dice are placed first, but that seems pretty rough so I let him use the get out free die to cancel it before placing it on the board.

That would prove to be a concession I would soon regret...

It took him 4 or 5 more rolls, but he got his 4 houses and still only 2 jail dice on the board. But he was going to need that hotel to win. "You can't do it! Never gonna happen!" I mocked. So he lifts up his dice, casts them into the blue dice bowl of doom, and sure enough there was the red hotel staring at me like the evil eye of Sauron sauron

Curse you, Mr. Monopoly!

I lost by less than a thousand bucks, but I have to admit that was pretty exciting to see the hotel finally get scored in a game.

The game does indeed play in 20 minutes, at least for 2 players.

By way of comparison, the dice in Monopoly Express are much nicer than the ones in the Settlers dice game. They are heavier, and the colors are not going to rub off. Also, the Settlers dice game came to a halt during the exciting hotel all or nothing rolls, with everyone cheering on the hopeful hotelier. Looks like this little Ameritrash game can hold its own against the Eurogame competition!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, and to defend myself: When I played the game against the computer at the Hasbro website there were a number of times when I had two police and then rolled a third policeman and get outta jail at the same time. They do cancel each other out!

Also, between players, the houses did go back to the pool after the turn was over.

The game at the website is pretty fun actually, although the computer player isn't the brightest.

Monopoly Express was a pleasant surprise. I enjoyed it and now I want Risk Express!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.