Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming » BrettspielWelt (BSW)

Subject: New BSW game: Wizard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On Sunday, 18th of november, 14:00 german time (or a bit later), a new game comes to BSW:

Wizard

[c] [c]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez, if they're going to add card games, the least they could do is find some that are a little bit fresher! Not that I don't love Wizard, because who doesn't? But really.... That's the best BSW can do???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Geez, if they're going to add card games, the least they could do is find some that are a little bit fresher! Not that I don't love Wizard, because who doesn't? But really.... That's the best BSW can do???

Coming up next on BSW...

You asked for it! You got it! Old Maid!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BSW should do Cold War: CIA vs KGB!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:

From http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1749404#1749404:

Werbaer wrote:
The games for the preliminaries of the german board game championship (Deutsche Brettspielmeisterschaften) 2008 are decided:

Can't Stop, Caylus, Thurn und Taxis, Wizard

Since some of the preliminaries are played on BSW, is is nearly certain that Wizard will come to BSW within the next 2-4 months. The other games are already available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations. This is the most retarded interface on BSW, even besting Settlers, Princes of Florence, and Power Grid in dysfunction. The first 2 issues being the big ones.

- The card selection interface was a half-hearted attempt to copy some of the worst interfaces on the Mac and Vista. If I have the cards 234567 in my hand, put the mouse between the 56 but an inch above them, then slide it straight down, suddenly the 7 jumps over to where the mouse is.

- The scoreboard covers either the cards in your hand or the actual current scores or both. You have to toggle it on and off or move it around every time you need to bid.

- There's no indication of who won the trick.

- The displayed player order is changed to place the leading player on the left. Simply dumb. Leave them in one place and have a start player highlight/boz/icon, whatever. That also solves the previous issue.

- You have to click OK after each round even though there's nothing to OK.

- The score/tricks/bid text should be twice the size.

- Not that it's needed, but the brightened icon showing which "suit" is trump should be much more obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Congratulations. This is the most retarded interface on BSW, even besting Settlers, Princes of Florence, and Power Grid in dysfunction. The first 2 issues being the big ones.

- The card selection interface was a half-hearted attempt to copy some of the worst interfaces on the Mac and Vista. If I have the cards 234567 in my hand, put the mouse between the 56 but an inch above them, then slide it straight down, suddenly the 7 jumps over to where the mouse is.

- The scoreboard covers either the cards in your hand or the actual current scores or both. You have to toggle it on and off or move it around every time you need to bid.

- The displayed player order is changed to place the leading player on the left. Simply dumb. Leave them in one place and have a start player highlight/boz/icon, whatever. That also solves the previous issue.

- Not that it's needed, but the brightened icon showing which "suit" is trump should be much more obvious.

Ouch. This makes me really nervous, but I can't wait to try it. I figured it would be inbetween DOKO and Tichu. The rearranging of cards in Tichu is so critical. But it sounds like you may not have this option.

If it's worse than Settlers, which is the worst in my opinion, then I'm sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkibet wrote:
Ouch. This makes me really nervous, but I can't wait to try it. I figured it would be inbetween DOKO and Tichu. The rearranging of cards in Tichu is so critical. But it sounds like you may not have this option.

If it's worse than Settlers, which is the worst in my opinion, then I'm sad.

Fortunately, it's just a simple card game, so there's not much interaction you need to do. Other than being really annoying, the worst that can happen is you click on the wrong card, which I did 3 times in my first game, even knowing how bad it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
I take it the horrible art is the standard German deck? I've only ever played this with the deck that's essentially just a normal playing cards with the special cards added.

Quote:
The rearranging of cards in Tichu is so critical.

You can re-arrange your cards in Tichu on BSW? Guess I've never tried doing that. Not that I see any reason to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
I take it the horrible art is the standard German deck? I've only ever played this with the deck that's essentially just a normal playing cards with the special cards added.

Quote:
The rearranging of cards in Tichu is so critical.

You can re-arrange your cards in Tichu on BSW? Guess I've never tried doing that. Not that I see any reason to.

Yes, just right-click and drag them to where you want them to be. Whenever you're on BSW and you're not certain what to do, try right-clicking. For some reason, Germans right click a lot more than Americans do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comments after playing a few hands:

ekted wrote:

Okay, the fact that I really couldn't see the entirety of my card was sad. The 8 in the Brown Suit is a card that makes me all hot. I want to see all of him when he's in my hand.

The interface reminded me of I-Tunes, so it didn't bother me any.

Quote:

I really didn't need it, except to bid. The names had the bids everyone made that round and their total score. (Relative score in the parens, which I didn't mind very useful at all.)

Quote:

It rearranges everyone so the winner is always in the leftmost spot. I could deal with that, except I needed an alarm to let me know when it's my turn to play.

Quote:

I don't understand why you have to do that at all! I concur.

Quote:

That would help.

Quote:

Oh, that's nothing. When you try to play the wrong card, and you get that funny noise and red text, I thought I was going to jail. It woke me up so freakin' fast I didn't know what to do.

Honestly, the suit marker I thought was kitchy and fun. It didn't bother me at all.

----

What my overall comment to the interface, is that Wizard is a card game. They made the interface more like a board game. DoKo and Tichu are fine being very 2 dimentional. 6 Nimmt is very 2 dimentional, and the card animation doesn't really detract any... it simulates what you actually do when you play the game. Sticheln is very 2 dimentional and works great.

So why made Wizard super graphical, bouncy, and almost annoying to play? Okay, the cards are really pretty, but BSW could have done something more like Citadels then, and you'd still get the same kind of quality game.

Still, I love the game and will play it, despite its interface. But I'd rather keep card games just like card games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.