United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this with the "Rulebook Confusion" article, but noboby seemed to see it. (or maybe no one knew the answer) Anyway, Ill ask again...
I have two quick questions:

1. Does Calvary work in the center? The wording about flanking makes me think of only the left and right, but the rules clearly say "to a particular position," Not, "to the left or right position."

2. In a trick with more than one Honor trump card, does the first one win? The rules spell out the event of all Honor cards and one Honor trump card, but not the above situation.

Great game! Thanks,
Lucas Hedgren

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sjoholm
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here, please move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Two Quick Rules Questions...
Lucas (#47086),

The way I read it the rules, the answer is 'yes' to both questions.

1. From page 5: When a cavalry card is the last card played to a particular position on all four players battle boards, and no trump cards have been played by any of the players, a successful "flanking maneuver" occurs.
That seems pretty clear to me -- cavalry works on left, center or flank.

2. The rules do not specify what happens when two Honor cards are the only trumps on a trick, but I think we can safely infer that the first one wins the trick. From page 8: ...the first Honor card played will win the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talon(Ty) (#47765),

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the "flanking in the middle" rule would work better. When we first played, and one plyer insisted that flanking only works on the left and right, he kept dumping Generals in the center, like you said. Early it would be extremely unusual for someone to be void in a suit, so as to trump the general. Your partner isnt going to cannon them, and they cant be flanked. Usually unbeatable.

I like trick-taking games where often you cannot be assured of a win: where you have to sweat a little. Obviously, if you have seen the cavalry come out in an earlier phase, you can be safe from that, but then, since it is later in the hand, you need to worry about trump. Brilliant!
Thanks again,
Lucas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Branham
United States
Duluth
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
New Dia die Los Muertos. Lighter, sillier, and Stickers.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucas (#47776),

You *CAN* still be mostly certain of a 3 Star General winning if you have the corresponding Cavalry card. But this is a less frequent event, and doesn't really seem to be that huge an advantage.

Moo
Frank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.