Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb

You can stop correcting me and other Lego fans when we call them "legos". It's not that we don't know what the marketing department feels the proper term should be.

It's that we don't care.

They are called what they are called, and people call them legos. Lego itself doesn't have to like it, and you folks don't have to keep "nitpicking" it.

The Man can't tell me what to call my toys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. Seriously, though, the "LEGO bricks or toys" sounds stupid. I fail to see how calling them "LEGOS" diminishes the brand, any more than saying "Kleenex's" rather than "Kleenex Tissues" diminishes that brand. In fact, calling them "LEGO bricks or toys" all the time makes it sound much lamer than just calling them "LEGOS".

And can you imagine hearing your kids say to their friends "Let's go upstairs and play with my LEGO bricks or toys!

The fact that the word LEGO has become synonymous with "buildable, linked bricks" should be a compliment to them, not a detriment. Just like "Kleenex" has kind of become the standard term for tissues, and I don't hear them complaining!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
The fact that the word LEGO has become synonymous with "buildable, linked bricks" should be a compliment to them, not a detriment. Just like "Kleenex" has kind of become the standard term for tissues, and I don't hear them complaining!!

Actually, they do complain. Writer's Digest magazine is full of ads from places like Kimberly-Clarke begging writers not to forget their trademarks and not to use their brand names as general terms. It does diminish their brand, because if they fail to protect it, eventually they lose it. It's not flattering to them to have someone buy a box of other brand tissues and call them Kleenex.

So I understand the sentiment behind the desire, from the corporation's point of view. I just don't care.

And I don't need to be "corrected" allatime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Actually, they do complain. Writer's Digest magazine is full of ads from places like Kimberly-Clarke begging writers not to forget their trademarks and not to use their brand names as general terms. It does diminish their brand, because if they fail to protect it, eventually they lose it. It's not flattering to them to have someone buy a box of other brand tissues and call them Kleenex.

Ah, gotcha. I guess I can kind of understand, but I still think it's stupid.

I'll keep calling my tissues Kleenex and my "blocks" LEGOs.

Heck, I'd understand the LEGO sentiment if they were talking about "please don't call Duplo blocks LEGOs". But to say: Call them "LEGO Blocks or toys" instead of "LEGOs" I guess would be more like Pepsi saying: Call our drink Pepsi Cola, not Pepsi. Or like Coca-Cola saying "Don't call our drink Coke". (Or do they say that?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
It's that we don't care.

So that must explain why you took the time to post a complaint (and possibly create the image) on a board gaming site. You go girl, stick it to the LEGOman! And when you do, make sure to use genuine LEGO bricks and not those MegaBloks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

Don't forget Xerox! Oddly, I hardly hear anyone use that one anymore... maybe they finally got their way which might explain why I see mostly Canon copiers these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
The Man can't tell me what to call my toys.

I am a Lego fan. I have travelled to Billund, Denmark to see the original Legoland. I call them Lego. I cringe whenever I hear "Legos." But from this day onward, I will never again correct someone who does. Because you're right: fuck the Man and his desire corporolinguistic hegemony. Unbrand those little plastic blocks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as LEGO's marketing/PR department makes certain to refer to their own product properly, why does it matter what the general public calls them?

Whether I say LEGO or LEGOS, I know what I mean, and I'm not gonna walk out of the store with MegaBloks by mistake.

Duh.

Actually, LEGO's best marketing tactic with this would be to use humor and make it an advertising "win" rather than beg, plead, cajole, or bully. Take advantage of the situation, make people aware of it, and have fun with the confusion while humorously setting the record straight.

Ever seen LEGO Star Wars (the original trilogy) on the XBOX? There are some absolutely hysterical cut-scenes in there, where LEGO Star Wars characters do some really great stuff that is decidedly NOT in the Star Wars canon (stormtroopers giving each other noogies, Luke's robotic hand coming off and crawling around, dancing stromtroopers in a disco). It shows that not did the designers have a lot of fun, but LucasFilm was cool enough to recognize the creativity and humor, and allow it to remain.

LEGO could have a lot of fun with that, create a memorable campaign, and make folks even more aware of their product, however they refer to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I call them something else entirely when I step on them barefooted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Skinner
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
corporolinguistic hegemony

You, sir, gain +1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't it be easier to extend the trademark to include the plural "Legos" (TM) as Coca-Cola has done with "Coke" and even the "Dynamic Ribbon Device" (the wavy stripe under the words "Coca-Cola", not an card from MtG).
As an additional note, when Harley-Davidson found out that Honda was researching the sound of different motorcycles, H-D filed to copyright(or patent/trademark I can't recall which)the distinctive sound their engines make! If it is a marketable asset you have to protect it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
was once a plant in a fruit plot
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:

And I don't need to be "corrected" allatime.

No. That usually costs extra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Bullshit, everyone knows the correct term is LEGO's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah! Legos Heresy! That's like saying "Sheeps" B'Aargh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.