Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Rice
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to use the game in my classes with the Spanish army...

Does anyone know of a (semi-pseudo) original set of rules (perhaps from 'The General'?) that I could implement that would allow me to use, for example, two tanks (side by side) on the Battle Board, thereby illiciting more use of the dreaded 'Military English' I must force upon them!?

Thinking about it, I can see how one might go about putting together said rules, but if any of you fans of the game out there could lend me hand I would be very much obliged!

Cheers,

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Tenhoff
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid that a two player variant for Patton's Best never made it into the Avalon Hill General.

The problem with trying to have two (or more) tanks use the same battle board is that Patton's Best was set up with a solitare perspective, and the board shifts to reflect the tanks movement (i.e. the tank is always in the center and the 'enemy' moves around it as they or the tank move).

If I can think of a better game as a teaching tool, I'll post it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattriceten wrote:
I'm looking to use the game in my classes with the Spanish army...

Does anyone know of a (semi-pseudo) original set of rules (perhaps from 'The General'?) that I could implement that would allow me to use, for example, two tanks (side by side) on the Battle Board, thereby illiciting more use of the dreaded 'Military English' I must force upon them!?

Thinking about it, I can see how one might go about putting together said rules, but if any of you fans of the game out there could lend me hand I would be very much obliged!

I don't know if there was a The General article, but one I idea I toyed with was porting the game to a large hex grid. Short, Medium, and Long range would be 1, 2, and 3 hexes respectively (maybe 0,1,2). The hex grid allows the player(s) to position multiple units to flank that annoying PzVI. Enemy units would still move Left, Right, Backward, or Forward, but in relation to a particular unit (either closest, the one that's shooting at it, or random).

The sticky part was how to handle US Control markers and where to generate German reinforcements. I imagined German reinforcements appearing in relation to the unit that would be closest if the reinforcement was placed there (clumsy wording, I know). US Control markers I envisioned as 3 markers placed 2 hexes away from the starting hex. Each marker would prevent Germans from appearing within that hex and adjacent hexes. When the control expands and shrinks, it grows or shrinks at the ends.

Or something like that. I thought of this about 6 years ago...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rice
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks both of you for your replies ...

I think I might have come up with a possible way to deal with a two-tank version.

Most of the rules would remain the same, but with some adjustments to;

a)the number of enemy units activated, there being the need for more targets to shoot at...

b)the allocation of enemy attacks against the two tanks - and not simply a 50/50 roll of the dice...

and(c)the movement rules.

This last adjustment is clearly the hardest to balance.

One possible way I've been pondering would include the following;

In the case of one non-moving friendly tank and one moving, the moving tank remains in the center-sector, whilst the non-mover shifts in the same manner as enemy units would shift...

In this case, there would be a limit to a one sector difference, the two tanks not being allowed to stray further apart.

For the tank now one sector distant (let's say, to the rear), a simple move action will return it to the center sector alongside its buddy without the necessity of rolling for enemy shifts, but still rolling for possible bog-down or slipped track.

Would this work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattriceten wrote:
Would this work?

The proof is in the pudding: try it and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Tenhoff
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Item b, remember that besides the players tanks, there are the other targets in the Task Force.

So the easy way to handle this is when the Germans target the 'players', determine which one is targetted via which ever one is closest and if tied, a random roll.

The difficult part is how the Germans will maneuver, especially if the two tanks are in different areas, thereby requiring the German to turn and/or move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rice
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point...

In the case of, say, a Tiger moving into the rear sector and encountering your buddy (whom you have 'left behind' because of a forward move), I don't suppose there would be any need to change any rules as the Tiger tank is at 'close' range for both the center sector guy and his buddy...

Additionally, if there is only a one sector move allowed for your buddy, there would hopefully not be any reason to find enemy units moving 'between' the two tanks....

In the case of point (b), I would continue to read the results of 'other tank' as the other tanks of the task force and only decide through dice rolls when 'your tank' results come up as to whichtank the enemy unit has targeted....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.