Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saint Petersburg is now up on BSW.

I was so eager to try it that I registered for BSW, downloaded the client, and played two games. Some extremely patient people helped me get up and running.

I have an iMac running OS X, but I still was able to do it.

Frankly, I'm still not sure how to find St. Pete again unless some kind person drags me or I can /ghook someone; I'd be happy to get instructions (the instructions on the web site still seem fuzzy to me.)
Send me a BGG massage if you have advice.

Thanks,
Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bouzada
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
Re:Saint Petersburg now up on BSW
Eric Brosius (#47187),

In the main screen (manager), you can see some boxes (if you don´t, type "/manager"). Click on the "Alles" one and search for Saint Petersburg´s icon. It´s after San Juan. Click on it and you will see some of the rooms where you can play it. Choose one and enter it.

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasen Robillard
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius (#47187),

One thing I've found useful is the "Where are the players?" list at the BSW website:

http://www.brettspielwelt.de/gate/jsp/base/enter.jsp?nation=...

You simply look up the game you're interested in, jot down the room number (e.g. C10-248 for a St. Pete room in Englishtown). You then type in the game command in your main client window and voila - you're there! The command would be "/game C10-248". I found this is a nice way of finding players.

Alternatively you could go to one of the game managers (they're the tall towers in most of the towns). The game manager in Englishtown is C10-27. All the available games in Englishtown are listed under "Alles".

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Cameron
Canada
Unspecified
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a good Quickstart tutorial on TheBoomer's English language BSW help page.

The main page is at http://www.brettspielwelt.info/

While the Quickstart Tutorial is at http://www.brettspielwelt.info/qs.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricco van Prooijen
Netherlands
Nieuw-Vennep
Unspecified
flag msg tools
What a great game this is. I had not yet played it RL, but played it almost 40 times this weekend on BSW. My order for a copy is going out this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This should have come with a warning: BSW can be very addictive! I went on BSW for the first time three days ago and found not only Saint Petersburg, but many of my other favorites - and not the dorky games found on most game sites. It takes great discipline to stay away and get some work done.

Some warnings for the first time BSW St. Pete player:

(1) In a four player game, the four players are not listed clockwise - but as follows:
1 2
3 4
Since this isn't the same as the Baron's fine program, I found myself opening slots up for nobles for my opponent rather than myself.

(2) Beware the double click! You must be especially patient at the end of the blue phase! I double clicked the pass icon and ended up passing in the red phase in which I was first. Needless to say, this was very costly. At least it wasn't the Mistress!

(3) Using the pub (schenke) was confusing for a while. At the end of the blue phase, if somebody has a pub on the board, it will display a 'schenke' phase. Don't do the same stupid thing I did, which was thinking it was the turn of the player named 'Schenke' because it appears in the spot where the on play player's nickname appears. In any event, if you have the pub, click the right arrow surrounding the zero to buy victory points. Then, do not forget to click OK below it. If you just set the amount of points and hit the pass icon (which is the phase symbol in the upper right hand corner), you will not buy any victory points. If you don't want any, just pass. Note: the diagram that shows you how many cards are left does not appear in this phase.

(4) The observatory. If you have an observatory, the normal diagram showing the number of cards is replaced by a diagram with four decks during the blue phase. Click on the deck you want to observe. DO NOT click on the symbol showing how many cards there are left in the deck; that is treated as a pass (I found out the hard way.) Also, when you observe, that German word on the BOTTOM of the shown card means 'discard'.

(5) BSW treats St. Petersburg as a memory test, as opposed to the Baron's program which keeps everything open. (I'm not happy about this as I think the game should be pure strategy, but at least this prevents analysis paralysis except by those with perfect memories.) You don't know how much money people have or how many cards they have in their hands; only what's on the table. It's also hard to see what they just did. You have to remember what they had and see what they now have to see what card was upgraded if any. As far as I know, it's pracitally impossible to know if they just took a card into their hand by observing. The only clue is that their observatory card is blank. Since you only can see 15 cards of an opponent at one time (use the scroll bar to see more) it is not always obvious what card changed.

If I think of any other gotcha's, I'll be sure and let y'all know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.