• [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aww. And here I was hoping there would have been an Oregon Trails or Sims joke. I'm very disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This was posted a few weeks ago, but is a worthy repost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted back in October.

Also, something I read about it:

Quote:
I was talking about this with some people a couple days ago... we worked out that there are about 5,000 grains of rice in a cup, dry. (Given certain assumptions about the size of the average grain of rice - depends on the type, obviously.) That means if you get 500 vocabulary words right, you've managed a whole cup of rice.

Meanwhile, the U.N.'s World Food Program, to whom these donations are made, says they can supply 5,000 cups of rice from a donation of $99 - call it 50 cups for a dollar.

So if you get 25,000 words right -- which, if you could do one every ten seconds and not get any wrong, would take you sixty-nine hours and twenty-seven minutes -- you will have accumulated one whole dollar's worth of rice. Hot damn.

I mean, it's a fun game, and it's certainly good for your vocabulary skills, but don't kid yourself about the rice. If you want to donate food, and your time is worth more than 1.4 cents an hour, give money straight to WFP.

EDIT: Darn you, Geo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to 1000 and decided to stop.
My vocab level peaked at 46 and ended at 43 or 44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
My vocabulary peaked at 1,049, but shortly after I got to 2,492,600, my computer imploded and my watch was sucked into a space-time vortex.

Is that good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, basically, the owners of the website are paying out (donating) about $1 for every 20,000 advertising page hits. Looks like they are making quite a bit of profit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but it's the running vocabulary score that keeps it interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Dvorkin
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't care about the rice. It's an amazing game.

By the way, how do you figure 5000 grains of rice to a cup? Are you using midget rice or something? A cup is pretty small, you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
OldestManOnMySpace wrote:
Also, something I read about it:

Quote:
I was talking about this with some people a couple days ago... we worked out that there are about 5,000 grains of rice in a cup, dry. (Given certain assumptions about the size of the average grain of rice - depends on the type, obviously.) That means if you get 500 vocabulary words right, you've managed a whole cup of rice.

Meanwhile, the U.N.'s World Food Program, to whom these donations are made, says they can supply 5,000 cups of rice from a donation of $99 - call it 50 cups for a dollar.

So if you get 25,000 words right -- which, if you could do one every ten seconds and not get any wrong, would take you sixty-nine hours and twenty-seven minutes -- you will have accumulated one whole dollar's worth of rice. Hot damn.

I mean, it's a fun game, and it's certainly good for your vocabulary skills, but don't kid yourself about the rice. If you want to donate food, and your time is worth more than 1.4 cents an hour, give money straight to WFP.

While this may be true, it doesn't take into account the sheer number of people playing. Since it's inception on Oct 7, 2007, approximately 2,457,120,420 grains of rice have been donated. That's nearly half a million cups so far. Seems like a pretty good deal for time people would normally spend goofing off that accomplished nothing at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch T
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Reversing this logic, you can clearly see that people are dumb because YOU starve. This leads to further dumbness. It's a vicious cycle. The only way to break this cycle is to eat huge masses of food. Stuff your gullet to prevent world hunger. It's time we take a stand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bump for a good cause

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I just learned a new word because of this. Philanderer is Womanizer.... Do I really want to know how that word came into being?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.