Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Roy
United States
Montclair
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone actually gotten a chance to play the new version. I have mine set up and ready to go. Does it play well solo?

Barry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing via email, but haven't gotten a FtF game in yet. And no, it doesn't play well solo, as you lose the "I wonder what he's got left in his hand" type of tension that good CDGs inspire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
While CDGs in general don't solo well, I have nevertheless played & enjoyed Hannibal solitaire many times - so it certainly can be done. The impediment to solitaire play is of course the hidden knowledge both sides have during play - which strategy cards they hold and (in combat) what battle cards. So, a bit of split personality, or at least the ability to ignore the knowledge one has of the other side's cards, is needed to enjoy the game solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky and played the new edition face to face the day I got it.

In the past I also occasionally played the game (original edition) solo, allowing the active side to only view 3 of his 7 (or 8 or 9) strategy cards at a time, and only adding another of his 7 (or 8 or 9) strategy cards at the start of his next round. This allowed for some 'surprises' during turns, but your strategies are more limited, there is more luck involved, and you still need something of a 'split personality'. For battles I just pretended not to know the opponent's battle cards at all, and played the cards for each side as they (or rather I) would 'normally' play them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lynch
United States
Brooklawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my first game scheduled for tomorrow cool. Can't wait to give it a go. I wouldn't mind learning how to play this game by e-mail, but I have no idea how to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Franklin-Bihary
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion is that solo Hannibal sucks.

I've done two games now, and I couldn't finish either of them. I just wasn't enjoying myself. I did it to learn the rules after I recieved it. I would recommend doing it to learn the game, but past that, this looks like a straight-up face-to-face title for me.

There are some CDGs that work better for solo play - For the People and Paths of Glory are two that I thoroughly enjoy playing solo, but Hannibal just didn't do it for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.