Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diis' Led Zeppelin Reviews continue (This time, with 100% better spelling!).

The scale:

"Strings Tribute" to Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin tribute bands
In Through the Out Door
Led Zeppelin III
Zoso
Led Zeppelin II

So, you, like me, saw Hasbro's reissue of Nexus Ops and didn't know what to make of it... Its Avalon Hill, that means ASL type complexity right? But wait, its got dice, and plastic figures... what is this Axis and Allies 2120?

To buy or not to buy?

Well, since I bought it and have played it at least ten times, lets go right into the review and you can find out.

Presentation and Bits:
Cool plastic figures in neat colors. The board hexagons are sturdy and make it easy to tell what kind of terrain is what. The colors on the game are bright and make it eye catching and lets you know the game doesn't take itself too seriously. ASL this is not, folks.

Zeppelin Scale: Think "Your Time Is Gonna' Come" Not the best ever, but still something you can feel good about playing.

Concepts and Mechanics:
Roll dice to hit, collect money for territory held, and very limited cardplay to effect battles or movement. If you thought Axis and Alllies 2120, you aren't too far off. Each time you win a battle you get a victory point, and victory points can be scored by completing certain conditions (destroying different unit types, starting more than one battle in a turn, etc.). First to 12 wins.

The most interesting thing mechanically is that units attack in different orders, so while you may be the attacker, if your opponent's force is comprised of higher level creatuers, they may actually get a chance to kill off your forces before you get to strike. This may seem a bit disengenous, but it actually leads to some interesting strategy. In most wargames, the first casualty is always the lowly infantryman or his similiarly cheap equivalent. In Nexus Ops, you have a decision--do I kill the infantryman because he's cheap even though he hasn't even rolled yet, or do I kill off a more expensive unit who has already used his roll this round?

You get cards after you lose a battle, which helps if you're getting beat up on--come your next turn, you'll have a little extra powder in your keg when it comes time to battle in the form of Energizer Cards.

Zeppelin Scale: "Communication Breakdown" Good, if not particularly outstanding.

Play Time:
Thirty minutes, tops, and thats pushing it. Short doesn't mean good, but for a light wargame or filler, this is about perfect. Even with what jtspecial calls PPAP (Players Prone to Analysis Paralysis), in another post, there simply isn't a whole lot to agonize about. Thats not to say that there aren't smart moves and dumb moves, just that it doesn't take a whole lot to figure out which ones are smart or dumb for you.

Zeppelin Scale: Shorter than "In My Time of Dying"

Fun Factor:
Its not my first option, but if you've got some aggressive friends who like light games, this is a good choice. Its fun and quick, and if you need a break from the BIG IMPORTANT GAMES then this is fine to fill some time. In addition, its simplicity makes it a good game to introduce to people you want to get into more serious complex games.

Basically, its a light game that probably won't cause you to get rid of any of your other games, but as a filler or just something to throw some dice around and kill little plastic soldiers without taking all day to do it, it works out just fine.

Zeppelin Scale: "Nutbrush City Limits"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trencher for Life
United States
Slidell
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diis wrote:
Diis' Led Zeppelin Reviews continue (This time, with 100% better spelling!).

So, you, like me, saw Hasbro's reissue of Nexus Ops and didn't know what to make of it...

Reissue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chance Folmar II
United States
broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review! I like Nexus Ops becuase it is much better than Risk and quicker to play. It's not deep, but for a "first" strategy game for kids, it's a wonderful introduction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Geerkin
United States
Eden
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done. Thanks for the review.

Let's get something straight, however, all Zep albums deserve 5 stars.(Especially, III. Please listen to "Since I've Been Loving You" until rating changes. Repeat if necessary.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intriguing premise, but this Led Zeppelin gag actually gives LESS information to the vast majority of readers.
I'd wager less than 3% of readers fully know the song references - but it's cute for a one-off gag.

Overall, it reads like you are downplaying this game quite a bit.
It may not be "deep" (like that's something to bow down to), but Nexus Ops accomplishes what it sets out to do better than many many previous similar games (Axis & Allies family).
I'd suggest when reviewing games, to review them wihtin their genre - and NO is probably one of the most successful of all games in its genre.

(I know you didn't say this, but....) There's no point stating that "it's not Puerto Rico" when the reader presumably knows that NO isn't PR. If he/she wants to play a "BIG IMPORTANT GAME" then I'm sure he'd be reading that other game's review.

As for at MOST a 30 minute playtime : well, I wouldn't agree with that estimate for the average 3 or 4 player group.
Maybe for your group, after fully playing the game 10 times, it might play that fast - but that context should probably be stated upfront in the review, to help the reader's time estimates.

And as mentioned already, Nexus Ops isn't a reissue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. Maybe I can start my own line of reviews: "These bits just reign o'er me!"

I'd agree that 30 min. is illusory unless you're really experienced in it, though I'd agree it's a lightish wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.