Greg Berry
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

If you are interested in playing a game that will help feed the hungry go to http://www.freerice.com/index.php . This site will donate rice for playing the game. It is sponsered by advertisers who pay for the rice the "give away" by putting advertising on the game's page.

If anyone knows if this site is a scam or somesuch please post. The game itself is an OK vocabulary tester but I wouldn't play it if it didn't have a benefit for other people by my occasional play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not a scam, but if you just read down a few posts, you'll find another thread on it.

Which contains a link to another thread on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the recent thread about it:
OldestManOnMySpace wrote:
Posted back in October.

Also, something I read about it:

Quote:
I was talking about this with some people a couple days ago... we worked out that there are about 5,000 grains of rice in a cup, dry. (Given certain assumptions about the size of the average grain of rice - depends on the type, obviously.) That means if you get 500 vocabulary words right, you've managed a whole cup of rice.

Meanwhile, the U.N.'s World Food Program, to whom these donations are made, says they can supply 5,000 cups of rice from a donation of $99 - call it 50 cups for a dollar.

So if you get 25,000 words right -- which, if you could do one every ten seconds and not get any wrong, would take you sixty-nine hours and twenty-seven minutes -- you will have accumulated one whole dollar's worth of rice. Hot damn.

I mean, it's a fun game, and it's certainly good for your vocabulary skills, but don't kid yourself about the rice. If you want to donate food, and your time is worth more than 1.4 cents an hour, give money straight to WFP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.