Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve e^(iπ)+1=0
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the fun game of Descent. I am your Dungeon Master and will be guiding you upon your tour of duty. I've been a hero in the past, but never the DM. First, here's the mechanics.... OK, I'll help fill in the gaps as we go along on that, but I think you have it. See these dragons? If you run out your game is over, and each player has a value that are taken for this stack for each time they are killed. I'll double these to give you a head start.

Now pick your heroes... Varlkas the Dead - nice tank, fatigue recovery, good. Now skills : +1 fatigue per kill, +2 armor, +2 damage - are kidding me? that insan- ahem... nice, ah, good for you. Alright who do you have there? Grey Ker - good choice for a beginner. You can change your 2nd action. Skills: +2 movement, +2 fatigue, +2 range & +1 damage - how am I supposed to kil- er... you have two of the best characters I've seen, maybe you won't need these 5 extra dragons here. Ghost Armor for a hero with 7 fatigue - oi!

Alright, first room. Some beastmen and skeletons. Oh, look - you cut through them like butter. Now some treasure - whoops that turned into a Beastman. Have pokey Varlkas run after him? Sure that's probably a good idea instead of letting GK pick him off with his insane range.

OK, second room. Spiders, skeletons, beastman, razorwings, and a sorcerer. Good grief you shouldn't be able - nice job slicing through those guys. I'll have to put some skeletons behind you to nip at your heels. What? Yes I do get cards and skulls every turn. You probably should proceed a bit faster.

Too bad Grey Ker, those X's on the dice mean the skeletons are still on you like white on rice, but here's a bonus: how about a master beastman and two more buddies. Yes, those wings on the Razorwings are functional and I'll have to ignore this 5 armor beast of devastation you call a friend and attack you...

"Why are you cheering? My character got killed!" Weellll, in this game the Dungeon Master is evil and an overlord, so you may address me as "Your Evilness" or "Overlord, sir" and you see this card I just played? It says "Evil Genius". So that makes me an Evil Genius Overlord, and yes your hero is the first in a long line of heroes I will be most jubilated to kill.

(After the heroes mop up). Nice job on the cleanup, too bad the sorcerer still has 2 health left. Yes, you will need to go into the other room to get the rune for this door over here, and remember, you get 3 dragons for each portal and some for the silver treasure you missed in this room.

Doh! Room three (without the treasure or portal). Hellhounds, skeletons, and a friendly ogre with a hero smashing club. What Varlkas? Did you just call me Monkey-Boy? You will regret that later. *evil snicker*

(After heroes with some more cleaning and Overlord spawning two beastmen parties and two more sorcerers) Now to get to the rune door and the treasure and portal that you missed, you will need to plow through this horde waiting patiently behind this closed door... Stop! The door explodes for 4 damage plus 2 extra for my Trapmaster abilites. Well, the door doesn't explode, but an explosion comes out of it, so that my beastmen can close it again. Nice kill on the Master Sorcerer, Varlkas, but he's not quite dead yet. Stop on opening that chest Monkey-Boy Varlkas, this here is a "curse of the monkey god" *EROFL* (Evil ROFL for those who aren't following). Gasp! You... you.. saved.

No worry, you haven't see two Master Beastmen at work yet have you? (DMK on both heroes). Gotta love those Beasty Boys. Good thing you snuck in to get the portal and Silver Treasure, your dragons would have run out.

(After Heroes consult rules) "Let's dash into the final room and shut the door behind us. Those guys can't open rune doors." No traps left for the door, so you're in with 2 more beastmen, 2 manticores and this smashing giant. We Overlords nurture these guys on only the finest meats. OK, the Manticores normally get two attacks each, but I've saved these just for this occasion, and they get four attacks each...

And that's how it's done, gentlemen. I'm glad you have had as much fun dieing as I've had killing you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa boy that cracked me up. You sound like the type of player I'd love to have in my play group.

I so need to get this game and find some like minded folks to play it with.

Diis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve e^(iπ)+1=0
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to teach through pain. Do you want a strategy guide from the Hero perspective or Overlord view? I'm not sure I have much for either that the designer hasn't said already.

For the Heroes: Run! And never look back. In this session, Varlkas should have never taken one step back or been in town unless he was dead or transporting to a forward portal that GK opened. GK should have picked off rear flanking units as he progressed forward. Moving 7 would keep him fairly well out of range. There are certain units you must go after, but the rest you can ignore. Master beastmen and sorcerers must be killed. Regular sorcerers are a good idea to kill as well. The rest - just make sure they don't kill you.

For the Overlord: Your strategy will vary with the heroes. Evil Genius is a must in my book. For the two Heroes I was against in this session, I knew I wouldn't be able to kill them before the final room or without two master beastmen, so I kept tossing stuff behind them just to make them go back. This delay allowed me to amass the right cards with enough threat to pound them in the third room. I saved my traps and double attack cards (whatever they are called). I kept a couple of the cards through 2 draws of the deck just so the manticores would automatically kill the heroes once they showed up in the end. I must give props to my brother, Mike for showing me the evil ways by example.

Two heroes is difficult. When we played with four my first time, we got creamed because all of us had read the rules (w/o errata or clarification) only once. The second time through, I was able to influence tactics so that we cleared out everybody but the master sorcerer in the first three rooms without taking any damage. My brother spawned hordes behind us and everyone went back - end of game.

Besides always going forward, the Heroes must work together. It's better to make a bad decision together than 1/2 of you make a good one and 1/2 make a bad one. My brother as Overlord challenged 4 of us whom he thought were prime players to the final scenario (with the Lich - not sure which expansion). He doubled our dragon bones to start and regretted it. He had only killed two heroes before the end room, so he decided to add 50% of the HP to the Lich. We also fought the stupid thing five times, because he rolled undead 4 times. He was in awe at our coordination and maximizing skills and equipment the whole game.

So back to teaching through pain. Heroes just cannot let the Overlord make them go backwards. I made this painfully clear to these two guys and hopefully they'll be a bit more aggressive next time. They did work very well together, but I was just too Evil for them.

OK, maybe I do have a bit of a strategy guide here. So I lied. Part of the territory for an Evil Overlord.sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.