Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Shapiro
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wanted to like this game. It has a beautiful map, great pieces and I find the topic interesting. Unfortunately, I find the game has some significant problems that center around what I found most appealing (map and units).

There is no point in discussing the basic game as (for lack of a better word) is dumb - it is neither historical or interesting as a game. The standard game has a good set of rules and would work well as a war game if it weren't for the map/pieces. The problem is that the map, though it measures 3x4 feet, is too small to accomodate the the plastic pieces. These units are larger than those found in Axis & Allies or Risk 2210 yet the spaces on the map are smaller than in those two games. It can be extremely difficult to see exactly where a large group of units actually is sitting. There are 'flag men' used to replace these large groups on the map but no boxes/spaces to place the armies into or identify them. In addition to that there is no battle map included (I have read that Eagle has one for download at their site and that BBG has one here); the map should have been included as in every battle there is a difference between the reserve, left flank, right flank and center positions.

This could all be rectified by reprinting the map. Eliminate everything on the western board (which is rarely usuable) and expand the other two boards to cover the same 3x4 area. After repeated play I still find myself and others misjudging the location of units; this is not acceptable.

I cannot believe that this was not a significant problem during playtesting as everyone I have played with has encountered the same problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirt Purdy
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Some Thoughts
qrux (#2607),
Sorry to hear the board is not big enough where it counts. We ran into the same problems, although we have a partial solution to your plight.
As far as the "unused West" goes, we use that area to battle on. Just be sure to remember where the Rail Stock and European Intervention markers are located. We also play Napoleon in Europe, but find that a battle board for the Civil War would not be large enough when you arrive at large confrontations. We just use the Wild West expanse.
As far as using flag dudes to indicate large armies, using the portraits located on the sides of the boards have served us well, and since the naval battles are all abstract anyway, (and the numbers typically don't change all that much), we just keep them written down. That gives some more room out in the Atlantic Ocean for big armies.
I hope these ideas will help your gaming experience.
A Question of My Own: We really enjoy the game, although we have yet to play it to its fruition, as the North is usually unable to force a major battle in 1964 with the South only keeping 5 units together anywhere. Am I missing something in the rules here, or is it that simple?
:0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave King
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted a couple of ideas under the "Fitting a lot of units in small areas" topic, which will probably solve the problems noted here.

I really like this game, but my biggest problem with it is that it never goes beyond 1863. An agressive Southern player should be able to keep the North from ever putting together a sustained offensive. Just strike early and often.

So to fix this problem, I've written up two different rule sets: one uses the tactical features and a modified battle board; the other uses a CRT similar to VG's Civil War instead of the battle board. I prefer the version that uses just the CRT, which makes it play like a simplified version of VG's Civil War or War for the Union. -Dave-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.