United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't yet read every San Juan article I can get my hands on, but in the ones I have read it seems people are understating the costs of the buildings. You really need to add 1 to whatever is printed on the card, because the building card itself is also leaving your hand.

In Puerto Rico, a 3-cost building really does cost you 3 doubloons because the building itself comes from a communal area. But in San Juan you have to furnish it yourself from your hand. Since every card in your hand is a doubloon, that 3-cost Carpenter really costs you 4 doubloons.

This doesn't really matter much in an additive context, but as soon as you get multiplicative -- say, to calculate a ratio -- then it starts to become significant. Sugar Mill does not actually cost twice as much as Indigo Plant; it costs 1.5 times as much. And a "free" Indigo Plant still costs you 1 (buildings are never free in San Juan).

For what it's worth, this is one of the reasons I don't build the Crane: I'm actually throwing away a doubloon every time I use it. I'm selling my Monopoly houses back to the bank at a discount because I planned poorly.

-Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Fundamental error in analyses of building costs
Bill Martinson (#47372),

Yes. Regarding the crane, it becomes good when you get building discount, especially multiple of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Fundamental error in analyses of building costs
Love the crane. My favorite card. It's all about quality not quantity. You can build every turn, and if you have quarry and carpenter, you can upgrade a 4 point building to a 6 point building for free!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.