Subject: User Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Les The Les you know the better
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Want to Captain a starship? Well this is what this game will let you do, in COMBAT!

The main thing the other reviews here completely fail to mention is that this game is CUSTOMIZABLE.

If you don't want to use electronic warfare, fighters, expansion races, advanced rules etc.. then don't! I notice Darcliff complains that he thinks Fighter J rules should be part of the basic set and that the inclusion of the kzinti AAS fighter is the proof that they shoud be there. I disagree the AAS Kzinti fighter is nothing more than a shuttle that launches a couple drones and the chaff packs and defense rating info really isn't needed to use them. The J rules for shuttles ARE included in the basic rules and that's all you need. If you WANT to use fighters then get J module.

1st get the training manual, this will let you teach yourself (and a friend) the game. It is laid out as a series of scenarios that add a rule or three with each scenario and before you know it you are using about 70% of the core game rules.

The next thing to get would be the tourney rules. These are for Duelists. That is people who like to play ships that are fine tuned to almost be perfectly balanced against each other. The other benefit is if you know these "CORE COMMON" rules you can play anybody that plays SFB, from anywhere, and you can do it online at sfboline dot com. This would bring you up to speed enough to use the demo mode of sfbonline where you can play fed versus knlink and see if you want to go further.

If you do I'd suggest two routes to expand. If there are other gamers in your area interested in learning then get basic set and advanced missions, then the modules as you want them. If you live on the edge of nowhere and there are no gmers in the area then get the new Master rulebook and subscribe to sfbonline. There you can play tournament or full SFB, even get involved in some campaigns. If you go the online route you will have less clutter since you will not have or need the maps, counters and ssds as these are all online.

The thing to remember is that this game can be as simple or as complex as you wish to make it. For instance I've never gotten into the advanced boarding party rules because it is something I've had no interest in and have not missed them in the 20 years I've played the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is hardly a review. It should go under General Articles. You are hereby reported to the Geek Police for stealing 3

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.