31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games to take while traveling to South Africa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne Burg
msg tools
A buddy of mine is going on a study abroad trip to the country of South Africa for a month. He'll be going with a group of college students. I want to send him off with a game or two. He's only taking 2 bags the size of carry-on bags because he has to travel light.

So any game(s) I get him must:
-be fun
-be lightweight
-be small
-have few pieces. Some game pieces can be swapped out with coins or pebbles.
-stand up to the elements (waterproof, no moving parts, etc.)
-multiple purposes if possible (more than one type of game can be played using the game pieces, the game pieces can replace an item he's already taking or can be used as back ups)

Card games fit the above criteria.

The kinds of games he is interested in are:
-A party game that is suitable for 3 or more players. He enjoyed Apples to Apples, Tribes, Fluxx, Loot, Mag Blast, Scattergories, Tribond.
-A strategy game that is suitable for 2 or more players. The louder the game gets the better. He enjoyed The Settlers of Catan, The Settlers of Catan Card Game, Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers, Hive.

He is already taking a pack of standard playing cards. I was thinking why not make those cards do double duty by giving him one of the decks from a thread I posted earlier called Card games for Camping and Emergencies.
Or I was thinking of taking a card-based game, say Citadels for example, and printing standard playing card numbers and suits in the upper left corner of the cards. This way he can play Citadels and any standard playing card game. I was also thinking of printing chess pieces on them too to give them triple duty.

Any suggestions? Remember he's going to be playing these games with American college students. Oh and he's not into drinking games or games about drugs.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Games to take while traveling
San Juan and Hive come to mind immediately.

San Juan Definately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While San Juan is a great game it certainly would NOT hold up well to the elements.

Hive, on the other hand, is IDEAL. The bakelite edition is self-contained with just the 22 element-proof pieces which get laid out to create the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't hive a 2 player game... So that would be off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Burg
msg tools
Quote:
Isn't hive a 2 player game... So that would be off.

Is there any way to play that game with house rules to get more than just 2 players in a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leanna kavanagh
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Pass The Pigs is perfect for travel, you roll two tiny pigs like dice and get points for how they land. I took it to Germany and it was a fun game that overcame any language barrier (and was a fun drinking game to boot) But i played it with my elementary school kids without drinking and it was just as fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a Travel Carcassonne ... Takes up little space.
Does not work with the expansions (smaller tile-size) but it gives the fix!!!
We have used this, and Hive, on our travels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickomino

Just bakelite tiles and dice.

Plays 2 - 7.

Not much strategy, but fun if you enjoy dice-chucking and press-your-luck style games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Saunders
United Kingdom
Blackpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels would just about fit your criteria. It's multiplayer, compact and jolly good fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Burg
msg tools
/edit

I just updated the original post:

The party game needs to be one of those games that gets really loud. The kind of game that gets them addicted and wanting to play all the time.

The strategy game can have as few as 2 players, but it would be nice for it to scale up to more players.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks! is about the most fun with the fewest components I have ever seen. 33 cards, 55 chips, very few rules, and it's just a blast; you want to play over and over, and it handles 3-5 and serves as a good push your luck party game. I would take it on any trip with more than 2 people.

The Complete Mancala Games Book Or some set of rules is great since you can literally play Mancala games anywhere with just some gravel. I've seen Africans playing Mancala with pebbles in little pockets dug out in the sand. You could also use an egg carton if they have those where he's going.

Hive is a great choice for just two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he's already planning on taking a deck of cards, I would consider substituting a Sticheln deck. Use it for standard card games (as long as you don't mind numbers 11-13 instead of face cards), Wildlife Safari, Schotten Totten, and lots of others. Heck, you could probably even play Sticheln. Not sure whether these fit in your stated categories, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd recommend Railroad Tycoon devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategy game, primarily a card game, for two or more, small, relatively few pieces...I'd suggest FFG's new 3rd edition of Condottiere. This new edition comes in a small box about the size of a VCR tape. My wife and I have decided this is our favorite two-player game at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I've taken on cycle trips with friends (same issues over space/weight):
Citadels - great mix of fun and strategy
San Juan - leans towards strategy
Guillotine - fun
Great Wall of China - strategy
Mykerinos - strategy (and a board game - the others are primarily card games)
6 Nimmt - fun with a light layer of tactics

I'd also recommend No Thanks (fun), Ivanhoe (strategy) and Condottiere (strategy). I've also just picked up Felix which looks like a lot fun but haven't played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Burg
msg tools
Well so far it looks like I'll be considering these games to give him as gifts.

Party Games being Considered:
-Liars Dice

-Apples to Apples. Reduced number of cards. I may put more words on each card.

-Taboo. The same cards from Apples to Apples can be used for Taboo. Now if I could just figure out how to eliminate or substitute the timer with something else. I really like the sound of the timer speeding up towards the loud buzz.

-Dancing Eggs. Just the rules. I'm sure he can find objects that he can substitute for eggs. And a pair of dice could be modified for the Dancing Eggs dice. Anyone know where I can print out the rules?

Strategy Games being Considered:
-Citadels. He can use coins, buttons, etc. for the tokens.

-Hive

Other Games being Considered:
-Diamant. I don't own this game so I can't answer this question. Can Diamant be modified to be more travel friendly? Does the board need to be used? Do those crates need to be used? I'm sure the player pieces and the tokens can be replaced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Liar's dice.
In the Netherlands it is published as: Perudo

We always take it on every holiday, and never get tired of it, even with 2 players!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Burg
msg tools
He's seen it before. He wasn't into it. If I remember correctly one of the big complaints he had was there was no art. He's a big believer in theme and aesthetics when it comes to games. I got to admit so am I. For myself, I believe if there is a chance to put some nice artwork on a card, why not do it? I guess I'm spoiled on CCG's and pseudo-CCG's like Dungeoneer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Burg
msg tools
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm getting close to a decision.

Anyone got any ideas on how to replace that timer for Taboo? I'm thinking of buying a used Taboo game and just taking the guts out of that timer and somehow streamlining it.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayneburg wrote:
-Diamant. I don't own this game so I can't answer this question. Can Diamant be modified to be more travel friendly? Does the board need to be used? Do those crates need to be used? I'm sure the player pieces and the tokens can be replaced.

Get the American version, Incan Gold, and you'll find it has none of that stuff anyway. Just a deck of cards and a bunch of little acrylic shards for the loot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mitchell
South Africa
Springs
guateng
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayneburg wrote:

....stand up to the elements (waterproof, no moving parts, etc.)...
Thanks

Depends where your friend is going to in South Africa, and whether he is camping or not.

Almost all destinations in South Africa are designed for hotel/room style accommodation. So you would never need to worry about waterproof parts, as you would be able to play indoors...

If he's going to a National park, then he would do well to have easily transportable games. Travel in the parks is almost always by road, so if the games fit into his suitcase, then all is well...

If you're camping, the weight of anything other than a card or microgame may be too much for your backpack. We did have a baboon going through our stuff at a campsite, but he was chased off.

He could of course pop round to my house and play any variety of games! Don't forget to bring the pretzels!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayneburg wrote:

So any game(s) I get him must:
-be fun
-be lightweight
-be small
-have few pieces. Some game pieces can be swapped out with coins or pebbles.
-stand up to the elements (waterproof, no moving parts, etc.)
-multiple purposes if possible (more than one type of game can be played using the game pieces, the game pieces can replace an item he's already taking or can be used as back ups)

Some other games to consider:

Icehouse travels well, particularly in Treehouse tubes. You can play any number of party and strategy games with them. My travel case also typically includes:

* Worm Up!
* The Castle of the Devil
* Go Stop
* No Thanks!
* The Great Dalmuti
* Verräter
* Citadels
* Res Publica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Burg
msg tools
Can Incan Gold or Diamant be played with just 2 people?

/edit
Also can the following games be played with just 2 people:

Die Kutschfahrt zur Teufelsburg
Great Dalmuti
Verräter
Meuterer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayneburg wrote:
Can Incan Gold or Diamant be played with just 2 people?

Interesting question. Structurally, sure, none of the rules just up and breaks that I can think of. After all, the endgame of each tunnel has two players often enough. But it seems like it'd kind of break down into Chicken with just two, and at that point there are probably much better options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayneburg wrote:
Also can the following games be played with just 2 people:

Die Kutschfahrt zur Teufelsburg
Great Dalmuti
Verräter
Meuterer

Well, for your larger values of two...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.