Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
After the Interminable, Three Hour, Cell-Phone-Punctuated, Invasion-of-the-Monster-from-the-Cable-Company, Three-Ring-Circus, Everyone-in-the-Hemisphere-Making-Their-Presence-Felt El Grande game, it was Ed's turn to pick a game. He selected Ticket to Ride, which, while not usually one of my favorites, was a perfect pick. I was so frazzled at that point that I needed something relaxing.

I have been determined to prove that the play-six-cards-always-and-screw-the-routes strategy can work. So I settled in for a fairly mindless, but sufficiently interesting, test of the theory.

Ron immediately decided to challenge the theory by drawing two additional routes not long after his first two. Central to the Play-Six theory is that others won't have time to complete multiple routes, so Ron's move was a direct challenge.

Soon thereafter, Ed did the same thing, picking up two additional routes himself.

Incredibly (to my eyes), Ron picked up still another route late in the game, when I felt that my shrinking number of trains signaled that time was running short.

I actually found it fairly easy to complete chains of six. At one point, someone else played a group of six in the color that I was collecting, but there is an any-color chain across Canada in which I was able to play those cards.

Ben also seemed to be playing the Play-Six strategy when he could, although unlike me, he actually tried to complete his routes and to make a long chain. Though it worked out well for him, I wouldn't bet on its working every time. Last time when I tried to do both -- to make a couple of routes while doing the Play-Six strategy, I got creamed. Things have got to work out for you, especially no one blocking your path.

Still, I had very short routes in my possession and I wondered at game's end whether I should have tried to link them. Perhaps I should have. It would have meant a swing of several points -- although on the other hand, I would have had to give up points by doing shorter chains, and also give up some drawing moves besides, in order to place more frequently. Thus I still think the strategy is sound.

It didn't quite work this time, though. I managed to end the game with both Ron and Ed in terrible positions. Ben was able to complete his routes, however, and to get longest chain, and to pass me up when my Incomplete Route points were deducted.

Ben 98
Chuck 82
Ed 59
Ron 32

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.