Subject: Looking at the picture....! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the picture http://images.boardgamegeek.com/images/pic252995_md.jpg I just got the thought that German fighters would jump such B-17s.
So perhaps a B-17 with a smoking/burning engine/wing would have to be attacked by at least one German additional fighter from the side of the wing!
Would that be a realistic add on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, if you never want to win, hehehe.... The game is tough enough, thank you.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question, now if only a couple of old German Luftwaffe pilots would tell us! The one thing about this game is so many people have created their own rules to make the game fit what they want. My thoughts are that yes more enemy fighters may be drawn to a damaged B-17. The chance that they attack the same side as a burning engine or a fuel leak would vary according to where it is in the formation and the attacking pilot, and if there is a fire the enemy fighters may avoid the B-17 all togather thinking the B-17 is doomed. If an engine is out on one side why attack the same side, your chance's of knocking another engine out is better on the other side where there are still two engine's.

So I guess you could make any rule you want to make the game fit your likes. Since the game is so deadly as it is for the B-17 I don't think one needs to make it even harder for the B-17.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got a point there, Mark.
But I was only comparing it with a lead or tail B-17. They have an extra Me109 to attack them in each zone.
But an extra German fighter from the opposite side of a smoking wing then?
No extra German fighter if the engine has stopped or is on fire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's well known that when a bomber couldn't stay in formation the Germans would gang up on it. The game portrays this with the extra enemy fighter when out of formation and automaticly reattacking. How about this idea; when a B-17 has damage that the enemy fighters can see such as a feathered engine, fire or something of that nature you may have the option of any attacking fighters that come on that side can be swithced to the non damaged side in hopes to create more damage to the other side. This would be a less aggressive idea but achieving the same effect I think.

Having talked to a few WWII German pilots and others most agreed that to aim at one part of an aircraft while in combat is not an easy thing to do. From my understanding most said that they would just aim at the center of mass and hoped to do some damage and escape without being damaged themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can go for that!
Will see what my playgroup will say to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These two B-17's both had dropped out of formation and had to make 2 rolls for enemy fighters in each zone they travelled in. Luckily the did not drop out of formation until they were back in Zone 3 and therefore had the chance to get Fighter Cover (which they did several times).

The B-17 game is set in the early part of the war when the Luftwaffe still was effective and had yet to be cleared from the skies. As the war progressed, the survivability rate increased dramatically for B-17's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Scott, that's another good way to play it!
But what if the B-17s hadn't left the formation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.