7 Posts

StarCraft: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question Regarding Combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liang Chong Wong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
An interesting scenario came up, which I wanted to clarify. It's not something that will happen too often, but since it has, and caused some confusion, I might as well ask everyone else.

Defender has 4 Marines
Attacker has 2 Zealots and 1 Dragoon.

Combat ensues..
Zealot vs Marine
Zealot vs Marine
Dragoon vs Marine + 1 support Marine.

Combat Result

Zealot (Destroyed) vs Marine (Destroyed)
Zealot (Survives) vs Marine (Destroyed)
Dragoon (Survives) vs Marine (Destroyed) + 1 support Marine.

In this Scenario, Protoss Frontline survives. On the other hand, every Marine Frontline has been destroyed, leaving 1 Marine Support.

Who wins? Does the Attacker (Protoss) take over the territory? Or does the Defenders (Terran) hold their position?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Orsó
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Terran holds the position. This is why it's pointless to attack with less units than the defender, unless you have splash damage, what makes reavers or archons or templars a must have in any protoss play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liang Chong Wong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Cools. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stian Kristiansen
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm, I think that is incorrect. as far I as recall, the terran support must retreat since there are no frontline units left..

EDIT: I think Im mistaken. if theres only "assist" units left, then the defender must retreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
msg tools
I this case the marine is not an assist unit. He holds his ground and the attacking protoss all must retreat to a SINGLE friendly or empty area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick K

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
Lord Vetinari wrote:
Terran holds the position. This is why it's pointless to attack with less units than the defender, unless you have splash damage, what makes reavers or archons or templars a must have in any protoss play.

I wouldn't say it's pointless to attack with less units than the defender has. In fact it can be very advantageous if the defender has a vunerable unit. Say a defending protoss had two zealots and a dragoon. You could use two wraiths or another flying unit to attack only the two zealots. This forces the dragoon (which could attack air) to be a support unit. You essentially get to blow up the two zealots and then retreat. This lets you whittle away at the enemy force by choosing only the fights you know you can win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Funky Mullet
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nkovacs wrote:
Lord Vetinari wrote:

I wouldn't say it's pointless to attack with less units than the defender has. In fact it can be very advantageous if the defender has a vunerable unit. Say a defending protoss had two zealots and a dragoon. You could use two wraiths or another flying unit to attack only the two zealots. This forces the dragoon (which could attack air) to be a support unit. You essentially get to blow up the two zealots and then retreat. This lets you whittle away at the enemy force by choosing only the fights you know you can win.

I agree totally, the less units your opponents have the better off you are. I always attack, even if I know I can't win the battle, if I know I can destroy lots of my opponents units and loose few or none of mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.