Popular Tags: [View All]
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With all of the talk about how weak taxation is, I have to think that similar discussions have come up with other games. Specifically, this isn't the first game to use an auction mechanism where money is either paid to the auctioneer or the auctioneer can buy his own item and pays the money to the bank.

So how does one really leverage a money advantage in this environment? Or does Goa offer a new wrinkle on this familiar mechanic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gagnon
Canada
Kirkland
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:How to leverage a money advantage anyway?
crparis wrote:

So how does one really leverage a money advantage in this environment? Or does Goa offer a new wrinkle on this familiar mechanic?

I can perhaps offer one small example of leveraging a money advantage. In a recent game, I decided to see what would happen if I aggressively "upped" my taxation level. The other players followed suit fairly quickly, and it got to the point where the auctions were getting almost disproportionately pricey because the whole gang was engaged in an arms, er ... money race. However, in order to keep up the money race, everyone was pretty much obliged to expend a "ducat" action every round. My early mover advantage allowed me to be the only player to skip the by-now-ubiquitous ducat action in a crucial round and build my final colony instead. Savvy use of the "swap" tile by another player garnered her some VP-producing tiles which ultimately put me in second place, but there's the crux of my money strategy for that particular playing.

For those who have played Age of Renaissance, the above ploy is similar to getting a head start in the religion category, and eventually forcing the other players to follow along because you have cathedral and are winning a battle per turn against non-owners. The Goa money ploy described above isn't as far-reaching, just similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.