Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Agricola» Forums » General

Subject: Agricola - what's going on? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rating-game [+] [View All]
Ryan Abrams
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
Hello BGG community,

I was busy playing games on the weekend (Fr-Sun) and therefore missed out on the Agricola discussion. I am a lazy person, so I would like to ask someone if he/she is so nice to summarize the debate for me in a few sentences (chronological order of events preferred).

Thanks in advance,
Simon.


Shouldn't this be in the Agricola forum?

As far as I can tell, some people were kidding around by giving it a low rating, but then it caught on and it's rating went down, so then the first people tried giving it an overly high rating, and now no one trusts the ratings on it and are concerned it's going to do poorly because it's rating is wonky.

It's all moot once more people get a chance to play and rate it, as the math will make the silly stuff essentially disappear. Based on my game at BGG.CON, I would argue that puerto rico could be in trouble.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think malloc described it best in another thread:

malloc wrote:
The joke was.... hey while all the "Coll Kids" are off at BGG playing this game we all know they will rate well when they get back, wouldn't it be funny if when they came back it was rated (temporarily) very low.

Thats was the original joke, now we all are the joke.

-M


Altho, my perception was that we weren't trying to get it rated low, we were just going to have some '1's on there with ridiculous comments to be silly.

I joined in thinking that only a small number of geeks would participate and an even smaller number of geeks would notice the '1's. I believe the others who initially joined in felt the same.

Wrong!

I never considered that this would cause hurt feelings or anything of the sort. I do apologize to anyone who was negatively affected by it.

I always tell my kids that a joke is funny only if everyone is laughing and in this case everyone wasn't.

It wasn't my intention to minimize the investment that some folks have in this game, but that's exactly what my actions did, so I do sincerely apologize.
44 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said, Jess. It is refreshing to see someone on the internet own up to a mistake.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
Well said, Jess. It is refreshing to see someone on the internet own up to a mistake.


Yep, especially when everyone involved has apparently been avoiding any word of excuse like the plague.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
arnest_r wrote:
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
Well said, Jess. It is refreshing to see someone on the internet own up to a mistake.


Yep, especially when everyone involved has apparently been avoiding any word of excuse like the plague.


There were other apologies, but in the midsts of a flame war, it's easy to miss them.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
arnest_r wrote:
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
Well said, Jess. It is refreshing to see someone on the internet own up to a mistake.


Yep, especially when everyone involved has apparently been avoiding any word of excuse like the plague.



Though I apologized to the person I got hostile with due to my own failure to read his post properly, I don't feel I need an "excuse" for the whole situation.

Some people played a mild prank, other people reacted like we'd spam attacked BGG and took the whole website down.

It's over, now. But just wanted to make that abundantly clear.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Some people played a mild prank, other people reacted like we'd spam attacked BGG and took the whole website down.

On the one hand, I think your description is spot on, but on the other it indicates to me that you haven't understood why events unfolded as they did. I am very hesitant to prolong this, but at the same time I think there is an important lesson here in why conflicts occur, both in general and on BGG.

People invest their self worth in a whole range of things. Other people, posessions, communities, fads, political movements, religions, and many others.

When you do something which either (in this case) appears to demean something in which they are invested, or (in other cases) threatens its entire existance, you provoke a strong emotional reaction.

It's not even that simple of course. Some people are invested in the boardgame. Some are interested in seeing something topple Peurto Rico. Some of us just love stats. A significant number are invested in the AT and Euro tribal groups, and that got dragged in to the whole mess.

Being emotionally invested in a boardgame may seem silly - but it is fairly normal for our culture. Think about people who get invested in soccor teams to the point of physical violence. Or watch some young people arguing the merits of their preferred game console. In geek culture, games and technology carry even more weight of course. Given that you are registered on this site, there has to be a good chance that you are in the same boat yourself.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin C wrote:
Being emotionally invested in a boardgame may seem silly - but it is fairly normal for our culture. Think about people who get invested in soccor teams to the point of physical violence. Or watch some young people arguing the merits of their preferred game console. In geek culture, games and technology carry even more weight of course. Given that you are registered on this site, there has to be a good chance that you are in the same boat yourself.



Well, sure. You come to my house and set fire to my Queen's Gambit, yeah, we'll have a problem on our hands.

You stand in a boardgame store and ward people off by telling them "boardgames are for the socially inept", yeah, that's 'damaging' to the hobby.

The reaction was considerably overblown.


Bah...I'm writing this chapter off anyway. Someone's already said that whatever a reaction to something is will always be valid, so next time someone says, "You probably could use a haircut!" I'm going to punch them in the face repeatedly, shrug, and say, "Hey, it was a valid reaction, watch what you say."

You probably think that's a ridiculous analogy, but I assure you it's pretty close.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
You probably think that's a ridiculous analogy, but I assure you it's pretty close.


Blimey! You have some anger management problems that'll get you banged up in clink some day, I reckon!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:

Bah...I'm writing this chapter off anyway. Someone's already said that whatever a reaction to something is will always be valid, so next time someone says, "You probably could use a haircut!" I'm going to punch them in the face repeatedly, shrug, and say, "Hey, it was a valid reaction, watch what you say."

You probably think that's a ridiculous analogy, but I assure you it's pretty close.



Yeah, because you got punched in the face repeatedly, I guess. And in the same post where you chastise people for exaggerating... shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I over-reacted to the prank, I'm sorry.

Now can we stop tallking about this please? It really doesn't bear close scrutiny on any level.
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr.Baggins wrote:
franklincobb wrote:

Bah...I'm writing this chapter off anyway. Someone's already said that whatever a reaction to something is will always be valid, so next time someone says, "You probably could use a haircut!" I'm going to punch them in the face repeatedly, shrug, and say, "Hey, it was a valid reaction, watch what you say."

You probably think that's a ridiculous analogy, but I assure you it's pretty close.



Yeah, because you got punched in the face repeatedly, I guess. And in the same post where you chastise people for exaggerating... shake



No, that's just it--it was meant to typify "overreaction". The reaction to the prank was name-calling, hate spewing, personal attacks, personal messages sent to people accusing them of "hating games and gamers"...


I don't think it's an exaggeration at all, honestly. The face punching in this instance was merely virtual instead of physical.



As to the "anger management" above...gee man, I wasn't the one with the anger management issues, you see...ah, never mind.


Take care, guys.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Lyons
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
I over-reacted to the prank, I'm sorry.

Now can we stop tallking about this please? It really doesn't bear close scrutiny on any level.


But close scrutiny of minutia is what bgg does best... can we please discuss the etymology of the word "prank"


v. tr.
To decorate or dress ostentatiously or gaudily.

v. intr.
To make an ostentatious display.


[From Middle English pranken, to show off, perhaps from Middle Dutch pronken (from pronk, show, display) and from Middle Low German prunken (from prank, display).]
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.