Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » Austria

Subject: Gaming Stores in Vienna rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hi,
I'm going to Vienna this weekend and I'd like to visit some gaming stores. Could you please recommend me some and provide me adress?

Thanks,
Jakub
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The two main stores are both very near the Mariahilferstraße (off in side roads), one of the central shopping streets in Vienna. You can walk to both stores within 10-15 minutes from the train station. In order when walking the Mariahilferstraße from the train station toward the museums:

LASTAFA, a shopping mall, houses a Games Workshop hobby center.

SPIELEREI (http://www.spielerei.at) is in a small cul-de-sac opposite the Trzesniewski eatery. There is a large "Dorotheum" sign there also. The address is Mariahilferstraße 88a.

DAMAGE (http://www.damage-town.com/) is near the Museumsquartier at the far end of the Mariahilferstraße -- when you see a Starbuck's on the right hand side of the road, turn right in front of it and it's a hundred meters down the road or so - the address is Theobaldgasse 20.

Also, this weekend: the Vienna Gaming Days at the Austria Center Vienna(http://www.spielefest.at/). Take the subway U1 to Kaisermühlen and follow the signs to the Austria Center Vienna. I don't know if you can buy games there, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks a lot. I'll make sure to check these. Especially thanks for making me aware of gaming convention there.

If anyone else knows others, I'll be more than happy to hear about them too. I'll be sight-seeing a little bit as well, as it's my first time in Vienna (getting another European Capital...after Berlin, London, Rome, Paris, ...), but I usually spend at least same time shopping for games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wow, thanks a lot, never seen this around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several of these stores on/by Mariahilfer appear to be gone. I found the one by the Starbucks, and the Games Workshop, but the other two? Nope. Maybe I can't follow Viennese addresses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kestril wrote:
Several of these stores on/by Mariahilfer appear to be gone. I found the one by the Starbucks, and the Games Workshop, but the other two? Nope. Maybe I can't follow Viennese addresses.

Planet Harry in the Otto-Bauer-Gasse is alive, well and still the best store in town - I just got his newsletter today. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielerei? Is history for years now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ron, for my future reference, what U line is planet Harry close to?

I was in Damage for twenty minutes, and I knew the inventory better than the clerk did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
U3 Zieglergasse

I really hate damage unlimited. every time I have been there, the did not help, coul dont help and i thought they are really expensive.

Planet harry is really awesome. good prices and very helpful. the even order games just for you from the U.S. if they can get it for the a really good price
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zieglergasse on the U3. There's an exit labelled Otto- Bauer-Gasse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flea4 wrote:
U3 Zieglergasse

I really hate damage unlimited. every time I have been there, the did not help, coul dont help and i thought they are really expensive.

Planet harry is really awesome. good prices and very helpful. the even order games just for you from the U.S. if they can get it for the a really good price

but seeing you are from canada you probably won't need that too much...
still, every time i am in Viennani leave quiet a lot of money there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn, that's close to Mariahilfer and the Zieglergasse U. Oh well, if it's as good as you say, it'll be there for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Müller
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Planet Harry in Otto-Bauer-Gasse is super.
Sirengames in the Friedmanngasse, 16th district, is also very good, especially if you like wargames/tabletop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
flea4 wrote:
U3 Zieglergasse

Planet harry is really awesome. good prices and very helpful.

What Lukas said.

That Damage Unlimited store deserves its name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I'll be in Vienna for few hours on Thursday, as I have 6 hours wait on Vienna airport.
Want to go to one store in hunt for some games to purchase.
Got 2 suggestions and those are Planet Harry and Damage unlimited.
Is there any suggestions here?
Neither of these stores have stock listed online, and that is one problem I have here.
But I did gear that Damage unlimited have some used games for good prices in stock.
This might be good, as I am looking for used games, as they are usually cheaper and usually condition is OK.
But new games are also what I'm looking for.
Doea anyone have suggestion for me of where to go?
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuuq wrote:
Thanks.

Look at the trade / sale lists from Viennese Users here on the Geek to find used games for decent prices! meeple

Otherwise, as this thread already suggests, Damage is to avoid, Planet Harry is a good address (not for used games though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Nuuq wrote:
Thanks.

Look at the trade / sale lists from Viennese Users here on the Geek to find used games for decent prices! meeple

Otherwise, as this thread already suggests, Damage is to avoid, Planet Harry is a good address (not for used games though).

you have link to that list? can't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
found some people, including you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Planet Harry is excellent, and also easy to reach by public transportation. If there are any specific games you're looking for, it may be worth sending them an email to check whether they're in stock or reserve a copy. The folks there are extremely helpful.

There are also several mainstream stores (Müller and Thalia on Mariahilferstraße) within three minutes of Planet Harry which have decent games sections.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sent some geekmail for buying used games. fingers crossed.
if someone knows any other olace, just shoot. I'll for sure go to Planet Harry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you find traders?

I second the Muller/Thalia suggestion. They have some pretty good deals sometimes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just took some time to find users in Vienna, then choose ones with avatar, and checked if they have something for trade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuuq wrote:
Just took some time to find users in Vienna, then choose ones with avatar, and checked if they have something for trade

(shamless self-promotion): Be sure to also check the GeekMarket! I have some fine duplicate games there on offer for low prices:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/user/PzVIE meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.