Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: miniatures [+] components [+] Customized [+] [View All]
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a short guide how to get some nice custom animals for Agricola. They aren't easier to handle than the cubes but they sure look 10x better.

First of you'll need some pewter figures. I searched the net and especially theminiaturespage.com for animal figures in the 15mm scale. The 15mm scale is really small but still offers enough detail on each single model - you might try 25mm or 28mm but I thought 15mm fits best.

My final choice of animals are from LKM Direct Limited ( http://quickreactionforce.co.uk/ ). I ordered from them before and they have great prices, quick shipping and a good range of nice miniatures.
They have sets of 6 or 8 animals each so I ended up with 3 sets of each animal (18 cattle, 24 sheeps and pigs each). These cost me a total of 18 GBP - with an additional 4 GBP for shipping with airmail service (roughly 30€).

the unpainted minis:

When my miniatures arrived I started flattening the bases with a rasp so that they stand nicely. After that I primed the minis, first one side, than the other one (of course you could do it with the minis standing but I was lazy). For priming I would advise you to take a white primer (I used black simply because my white one was empty).

priming the animals:

Next step was the painting. I use mainly Games Workshop colors but also different brands depending on what I want. I used "Snot Green" for the bases, Leather Brown for the cattle, White (obivously) for the sheep, Bleached Bones for the horns, black for the eyes and hooves and a mix of red and white for the pigs. Oh and btw: the brush I used is the "Citadel Fine Detail Brush" - you'll need it

First of I started with the bases. After that I painted the body without caring too much for the details. Then I did the hooves or hornes, repainted the main color and repainted the base if needed.
It's easiest if you do all minis (of one animal kind) at the same time instead of painting each. Try to do one color on all animals and then move on to the next color.

the different types of animals:

When the minis were done and dry and varnished them with a matt-finished varnishing. Now they minis should finally be ready to play with. Remember that most colors are water based and therefore very vulnerable if not varnished!

a picture of the cattle and sheep in play:

So... how long did it take me to do the stuff?
I would say around 6-8 hours for painting. Maybe 1 hour total for priming and varnishing (but of course you do that in several intervalls and you have to wait for the stuff to dry). All in all I spent about a week or so with several evenings dedicated to small sessions (with audiobooks )

What was the total cost of this project?
30€ for the minis and if you don't have a brush, paint and so on maybe another 15-25€ for this stuff. It definitely was a labor of love and is in no way worth it

Edit: some more close-up in game shots

and
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!

- except that the pink pigs really should be (wild) boars - hence the black cubes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Very nice!

- except that the pink pigs really should be (wild) boars - hence the black cubes...

I talked about this for a long time with other german geeks. I am aware of the wild boars but decided against them simply because of the greater color difference and because most people simply identify pigs easier than boars. Believe me, a lot of effort and thought was put into this decision
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Preischel
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: HowTo: 15mm scale animals to replace the cubes in Agrico
Those are totally excellent. I just might be crazy enough to do that too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get some fun prepainted farm animals at http://www.actionfarmtoys.com/. The 1/64 animals are about 28 mm scale, and you can get boars and steers and lambs and deers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Abrams
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you give a direct link to the animal pack(s) you used? I can't find them on the site, and I think I'd like to try this project. The final result looks great, and it would be a pretty painless way to get into painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beckerdo wrote:
You can get some fun prepainted farm animals at http://www.actionfarmtoys.com/. The 1/64 animals are about 28 mm scale, and you can get boars and steers and lambs and deers.

These are "almost" excellent - 28mm scale is way too big in my opinion but of course it's an easier way to get your game good looking.

Edit, just for size comparison and S's and G's:
A BloodBowl Mummy (28mm scale) slaughters the weak Euro-Sheeps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanabrams wrote:
Can you give a direct link to the animal pack(s) you used? I can't find them on the site, and I think I'd like to try this project. The final result looks great, and it would be a pretty painless way to get into painting.

Here you go (and yes: this is definitely an easy job although very small minis )
Sheep: http://quickreactionforce.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPa...
Pigs: http://quickreactionforce.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPa...
Cows: http://quickreactionforce.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/cPa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
19mm is quite a bit. The 'range' for the minis I bought is 15mm - the animals are all smaller than that.. for example: the height of the sheep is only 7mm! I think it would work really well for use in the game but the scale of the game (and therefore the "look") is definitely smaller.

But of course it's easier just buying animals and not even having to paint them even if they don't fit 100%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X

Some
msg tools
These look very nice, and you did a fine job.

I am a little confused as to how many animals you receive when you add 1 unit to your cart.

How many times do I need to add sheep to the cart?
How many times do I need to add pigs to the cart?
How many times do I need to add cattle to the cart?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got 3 each. Every item/unit includes several animals. 6 for the cattle and 8 for sheeps and pigs each. The game originally comes with 21 sheeps, 18 boars/pigs and 15 cattle - so you end up with some replacements if one of your miniatures gets missing.

Oh and btw: they also have a very cool range of miniatures for Aliens - Even with predators!
Check out this pic:

(but note that my other Alien pictures are from a different scale!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just made some more abstract animals out of Sculpey (very similar to the ones with pics here). I might upload some pics of them tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Wow, those are amazing. I might do it myself seeing how good they look.

Interesting.... just today I was talking to a non-gamer friend about Agricola (which I tried and loved at BGG con), and the first thing he asked was whether it had small plastic animals. I said that they were generic euro game cubes (which we all are used to). He then gave me a disenchanted "oh...".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thornton
United States
Wentzville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, these look amazing! Please, everyone keep posting your way of getting custom components into the game and where/how to get them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
They look great!

Not sure I am up to all that creativity though ... I think the limit of my talents is making veggies with FIMO!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the rate I have to make food in the game I would do better to make miniatures of lamp chops, bacon and steak!

Seriously though, excellent job. Those look fantastic and will help immerse the game in theme . . .

Now, what music should be on while playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kennard
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonCat wrote:
Now, what music should be on while playing?

That's easy.
Hanno said it himself in this comment, way back in August.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zopper-Alf wrote:
[Believe me, a lot of effort and thought was put into this decision
laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Titchener
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Great Dane wrote:
Very nice!

Ah, that's why we suddenly have masses of orders for sheep, pigs and cows! Thank you all.

Do I need to make a Wild boar master now?

Geoff
LKM Direct
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah, nice to see you here Geoff!
You guys really offer great minis and also great service - you're definitely my favorite place to shop for small minis.
Oh and no need to thank me for the business opportunity
Keep up the good work,
Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I should think HO-scale (model railroading) livestock would work nicely, and they come prepainted. I know that when I used to do model railroading, I could find these at the hobby stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
I should think HO-scale (model railroading) livestock would work nicely, and they come prepainted.

http://www.amerikanismen.de/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Ok - so the animals look sweet... when are you going to get some fences, barns and farmers to complete the awesome set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rodriguez
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Great Dane wrote:

I can't tell how those fences would scale though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.