Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Mc
United States
Dunkirk
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preface: I like this game, probably more so than the average BGGer based upon the rankings. But the rules have some holes and issues.

1) Tractor Beam rules are barely a single sentence. I'm not sure how you could ever usefully use them, except to force a collision, which you could more easily obtain through movement (no dice roll to hit). Either I don't understand the rule right or Tractor Beams are completely useless. (so I never mount them).

2) Docking. Rules are pretty clear...except after you are docked. It doesn't cost an AP to un-dock, apparently. No problem from base. But what about combative docking and boarding? Nothing in the rules say the defender can't just move away in his turn (there is no "engagement" or disengaging rule). So you can ram, dock and board in one turn, but then the defender just moves away and you have to chase them again.

The rule I made up is that undocking from a hostile boarding attempt requires an 2AP and a roll of 7+.

(likewise, I guess, you should have to try disengage from a tractor beam, but that is way outside of the current rules scope).

3) 30 point games are fairly restrictive for building. Even going to just 35 points really opens things up. Most ships are rated 7-11 points, and crews are 1-3 points, mostly. With 30, even just two ships over 10 points means you have no crews or no third ship. I like 35 to start and 30 in reserve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a whole box of these things a while back... I have only opened them all up and sorted them. I need to get it out and play through it solo to see how it is. I mainly bought it because I like building the ships

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mc
United States
Dunkirk
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided that tractor beams are totally worthless. So here's my house rule to get the most out of those purple pods.

Photon Torpedoes (purple pods): Attack using the same rules as red pods, but are discarded after use.

A hit does variable damage, roll a d6: 1-2: 1 damage (same as red pod) 3-4: 2 damage 5-6: 3 damage.

One use only though, and they can't be built by a structural engineer (they may only be placed at start or with newly incoming reserve ships).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rion
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
We cannot resolve the first two issues ourselves, and as for the third one, we have found it to be acceptable, but I'm curious if it will length the game when we do 2 on 2 (And allow for other more interesting things to happen).
I have other questions I am going to post separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.