Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was the Elf. Rich was the Assassin. And so started another quick game of Talisman.

When you come down to it, the Assassin is one of those characters that you want more players in the game for. Partly to have people to assassinate, but far more to have more monsters turning up that can then be assassinated.

The Elf wants fewer characters - he's at his happiest when no-one ends up in the Woods, so he can move from Woods to Woods taking items and drinking from the stat-boosting locations if they appear there.

Of course, that strategy for the Elf begins to fail when a Demon turns up in one set of woods... The Assassin managed to obtain the Cross, but for some reasons didn't want to exorcise the Demon.

In fact, both Rich and I were doing pretty well in building up our stats. Rich was having some bad luck with combats (which I'd then come by and clean up the monsters he'd left), but his Craft was improving rapidly, aided by the Maiden, Unicorn… and he'd also got the Gnome. Me? I picked up the Mercenary, and so quickly became interested in getting as much gold as possible. The Prince and the Princess became my followers, and I delivered them to the Castle for my 6 gold reward!

Then disaster struck Rich: he bought a Raft at the Market, and crossed to the Middle Region… and landed in the Chasm. I've never really paid much attention to the Chasm, but Rich didn't have a Guide. His Unicorn, Maiden and Gnome all fell into it (in a flurry of low rolls) and suddenly he was way behind. To make things worse, he was then Cursed by Hag and lost his last follower – an Alchemist.

I made my way into the Inner Region, taking the Strength path, and failed my first attempt at the Crypt, emerging at the Warlock's Cave. My second attempt saw Rich cast Acquisition on me to relieve me of my Talisman. Grr! I retreated to the Middle Region, and managed to find two new Talismans. Finally, I was able to make my way to the Crown of Command, unhindered by Rich, and started casting Command spells.

Rich struggled on for a few more turns, but wasn't able to increase his Craft any further. Eventually, he died a painful death, alone and unloved, in the Outer Region. The Elf (now Evil!) had won!

Final stats:
ELF: Strength 8, Craft 7. Mercenary.
ASSASSIN: Strength 5, Craft 6.

The game took a little under an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Duroni
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear not much has changed. Sounds like we could get some quick games in. Hopefully some more characters will be added soon in an expansion to help add a little depth to the character pool. I always like a variety to choose from. Nice report as usual Merric.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merric, I hope you have laminated every single piece of your game, or it will wear out soon.
Then you'll have to wait a quarter of a century for the fifth edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.