Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Ferrier
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a lot of people are put off because this game has a Factory Fun element in it (all Factory no fun; I really loath that game). I find the game a lot of fun so in an effort to have a friendly game we didn't use the timer but you can't just allow unlimited time to build a ship because sitting around for 10 minutes watching someone build a ship is not any fun. And using the timer as in the rules can also add undo pressure and be a tad harsh so I decided to use a variant that they had from the first Networked Civilization computer game that ran into the very same problem and there seemed to be fun had all around so I thought I would post it here in hopes of helping my fellow geeks get more fun from their gamemeeple

Variant Friendly Timer Rule:

Start the timer when the next to last person has grabbed their turn tile.

so in a 4 player game start the timer when the 3rd tile is grabbed
in a 3 player game start the timer when the 2nd tile is grabbed
in a 2 player game start the timer when the 1st tile is grabbed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fsnam wrote:
Variant Friendly Timer Rule:

Start the timer when the next to last person has grabbed their turn tile.

If the ships are all equally well-built, I think the first player has quite a large advantage, so my concern would be that, under your rule, all of the remaining players might decide together to take a very long time in order to optimize their ships as well as possible to overcome this advantage.

My impression about the game is that the "1" tile is worth too much, which itself creates the time pressure, regardless of what you do after that. I'm not sure what I would change to compensate for that. Maybe increase (double?) the number of days of delay for the various events?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ferrier
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My idea for this rule is based on the idea that it's just a friendly game. Their are certainly ways to take advantage of it through conspiracy but then again those types of players are not inclined to use a "friendly" type of a rule in the first place

Going first is certainly an advantage but if you don't have a really well built ship you are probably going to get chewed up. It's an interesting balance between speed building and getting a good ship. I haven't played the game enough yet to decide if tinkering with the delays would be a good idea as it seems to be part of the core game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might require a change in the physical timing mechanisms, but it could be nice if the distance between ships were proportional to how much extra time the players took, rather than a fixed spacing for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th. If you could start immediately behind the previous player, it would be more attractive than giving that first player a lead of several spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Long
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We used this variant at BGGCon and it worked nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.