Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad and pure evil of them to offer this price...

http://gameoftheday.blogspot.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
After the Tanga fiasco, this just shows that the folks at GotD either a) don't follow the news here, or b) don't particularly care, as long as they get their coin.

They would have been better off to have held off selling Hannibal for about a month, instead of rolling it out right on the heels of Tanga. Instead, they're only setting up Valley for more backlash, whether or not it's deserved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
After the Tanga fiasco, this just shows that the folks at GotD either a) don't follow the news here, or b) don't particularly care, as long as they get their coin.

They would have been better off to have held off selling Hannibal for about a month, instead of rolling it out right on the heels of Tanga. Instead, they're only setting up Valley for more backlash, whether or not it's deserved.

Ack. I am just now reading about said fiasco...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Robinson
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
J.L.Robert wrote:

I'm only partially aware of the angst around Hannibal/Valley, I know some folks pre-ordered at a 15% discount but got plastic generals, and that some of the pre-orders have been slow to ship. I think it's unfortunate but it comes as a result of Valley not being sure how they want to go to market. We originally had a business agreement with Valley that they later reneged on because they were concerned about upsetting distributors. Now they've upset end customers too with the slow shipping and lower discounts.

Even with that, I have nothing at all against Valley, in fact I applaud their efforts to bring back high quality games. I also understand they want to reduce their risk by hitting a commitment break- even point before they run the presses. But unfortunately, it does mean that if they aren't going to rely on their market research and the distribution channels to take educated risks instead of placing that risk with end customers, this is the kind of result that can happen.

My intent is not to cause problems though so I will remove the listing immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigrob wrote:

My intent is not to cause problems though so I will remove the listing immediately.

Sorry to bite into your bottom line like that, Bigrob. But I'm sure that you'll be able to sell those units off before too long.

I wasn't begrudging your action. As a retailer, you have every right to sell your merchandise. I'll admit that my original comments were quite strong, and for that, I apologize. I was just concerned that it would simply add more fuel to the fire around Valley, in light of the happenings last week regarding Hannibal.

Regardless, you are doing a very commendable thing by sacrificing your short-term profits as an act of goodwill towards Valley Games. I'm always pleased to see that there are some who see a bigger picture in this hobby and industry than their own bank statements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Chi
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummm, WTH? Did a deal just get pulled because someone bitched? WTF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigrob wrote:

Speaking of which, are you a paying advertiser here on BGG yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Robinson
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
J.L.Robert wrote:
Bigrob wrote:

Sorry to bite into your bottom line like that, Bigrob. But I'm sure that you'll be able to sell those units off before too long.

Not a problem, and I have to admit I really wasn't as aware of the issue as I should have been. Like I said, overall I support what Valley is doing and hope they continue to succeed in bringing back more great OOP games. Hopefully they can correct some of the issues they've had with delivering the pre-orders out to the end customers who helped to get these games back into print to begin with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
henwy wrote:
Ummm, WTH? Did a deal just get pulled because someone bitched? WTF?

Not someone. A whole bunch of someones.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/241273

And I wasn't one of them. Just pointing out that the outcry is already fairly high, and an additional sale would only make things worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Robinson
United States
Centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
JeffyJeff wrote:
Bigrob wrote:

Speaking of which, are you a paying advertiser here on BGG yet?

Actually, yes. My ad is in pending status but has been paid for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.