Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My dad called to tell me about an article in the local paper saying board games are getting hot. Seems there's lots of articles like this out there during this time of year (start of the holiday season). This one at least mentions boardgamegeek.com.

http://www.sacbee.com/107/story/501602.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting article, if a bit too "Euro-centric" to be a truly balanced picture of modern gaming. No mention of games such as Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition, Starcraft TBG, Warrior Knights, or even any of the current crop of Axis & Allies offerings. That's the problem with basing the article on an interview with only one person,who in this case appears to be a solid Euro-gamer (although he did mention Cosmic Encounter as a favorite). Still, on the whole, the article does a good job of letting the general public know that there are new games out there other than Monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Interesting article, if a bit too "Euro-centric" to be a truly balanced picture of modern gaming. No mention of games such as Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition, Starcraft TBG, Warrior Knights, or even any of the current crop of Axis & Allies offerings.

Well, euros are mainly what is played at Crepeville on Tuesdays, and as far as I know, the reporter spent one evening there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The Board Gaming article was even called out on the front page! Here's a pic of the top of today's Bee...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
An abbreviated version of this story appears on The Commercial Appeal (Memphis Tennessee newspaper) website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
P.S. The guy who plugs BGG is user Kevin Ellingson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
simonh wrote:
The Board Gaming article was even called out on the front page! Here's a pic of the top of today's Bee...

I know it's iconic, but using a picture of Monopoly to illustrate an article on "new games" astounds me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:

I know it's iconic, but using a picture of Monopoly to illustrate an article on "new games" astounds me.

Bear in mind that most papers use a lot of stock photography and thats probably why you're seeing Monopoly listed because its what pops up when you put "board game" into most stock photo search engines.

"But they're a newspaper! Surely they have staff photographers!" I'm sure you're saying. Sure they do but do they have the time to get a print-ready photo for a design element (rather than a simple snapshot) in the time it takes to send a paper to press? Usually not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda wish I still lived in Sacramento now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Must have been "game article week" or something. My local paper had a story on Sunday: http://www.jconline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007711250...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
ryokowerx wrote:
edosan wrote:

Bear in mind that most papers use a lot of stock photography and thats probably why you're seeing Monopoly listed because its what pops up when you put "board game" into most stock photo search engines.

"But they're a newspaper! Surely they have staff photographers!" I'm sure you're saying. Sure they do but do they have the time to get a print-ready photo for a design element (rather than a simple snapshot) in the time it takes to send a paper to press? Usually not.

Yeah, but it still makes no sense. If they want to do an article about NEW boardgames, they shouldn't use a picture of a really OLD boardgame. If the idea of the article is "there are more games out there besides Monopoly," a picture of Monopoly seems out of place. It's like having an article about teenagers with a picture of a senior citizen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
Yeah, but it still makes no sense. If they want to do an article about NEW boardgames, they shouldn't use a picture of a really OLD boardgame. If the idea of the article is "there are more games out there besides Monopoly," a picture of Monopoly seems out of place. It's like having an article about teenagers with a picture of a senior citizen.

Bait and switch. Give 'em what they know and then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
blindspot wrote:
edosan wrote:

Bait and switch. Give 'em what they know and then...

I thought the "bait" in bait and switch was supposed to be something you actually wanted. That's more like "Repulse, then Switch."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.