Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Maesen
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on the hunt for some great 2 player games. Give me some ideas and tell me about your favorite 2 player games!!

A few of my current favorites are:

Hnefatafl

Lost Cities

Blokus Travel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizard Kings.

Ooodles of replayability. Interesting, builds a narrative, and lots to think about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring...

Epic, fun, replayable, exciting, multiple routes to victory, strong theme, strong narrative, and beautiful to look at.

Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner
Almost unlimited replayability.
A couple of starter decks is all you need.
Completely different styles of play for each person and easily switchable.
Playing mechanisms found in no other game.
Beautiful integration of theme and mechanics.

It has no equals in the 2 player realm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
My favorite game period is hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
There can be only one....

Mr. Jack

Excellent deduction game, with variable character abilities. Lots to think about each turn. I can't get enough of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
costa
Portugal
Vieira de Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
For sure you'll like:
INGENIOUS - abstract strategy
HEY! THAT'S MY FISH! - child themed games

and maybe
BATTLELORE if you like fantasy fight games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, the best two-player games are games that were designed to play 2 and only 2. I recommend searching the database for 2-player only games and reviewing the ratings and comments to adjust for taste. I'd recommend a wargame, but that might not interest you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Ludwick
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Magic: The Gathering, though our current 2-player is Dungeon Twister.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raindog
Norway
Elverum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon City

Catan the card game

And of course Heroscape!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Jones
United States
Mason
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallet Ranger wrote:
There can be only one....

Mr. Jack

Excellent deduction game, with variable character abilities. Lots to think about each turn. I can't get enough of this.

I'll agree here. I've only played the online turn-based version, but I'm hooked. The "analog" version is my next purchase. I also enjoy Lost Cities with the wife (even though she's kicked my rear every time so far...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meadows
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Carcassonne

It is also my wife's favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive

My wife will play this game, and it is always full of surprises and last minute saves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crash Tackle Rugby Board Game

No game is ever the same. It has a good balance between strategy and luck. It has lots of tension and reasons to cheer or moan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities, Carcassonne, Blokus Trigon and Carrom. Puerto Rico is also lots of fun with the official Alea 2-player rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle. This and Here I Stand: 2-Player Diplomacy Deck are my current ACTS obsessions. The depth of interaction in the cards has really grabbed me. In both games you have to really get into the strategy of your given side. These are not balanced games!

Face to face, each of these can be whipped through very quickly between experienced players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Duroni
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Ancients is by far my favorite 2 player game, yet by looking at some of your favorites it might not fit the mold of what you're looking for in a game. Thus the debate, is a wargame different from a board game.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add a third plug for Mr. Jack. For what seems like a simple premise and a board that is set up the same way every time, there can be a remarkable amount of diversity from game to game. It's really quite brilliant how everything is layed out and the abilities of the different characters. Think Chess meets Clue. Some have said that it is unbalanced toward the detective, but I think it's actually balanced quite well once you get the hang of it, and it's fun to play as either side.

The Mrs. and I also enjoy playing this 2 player variant for Settlers, as well as Tikal and 10 Days in the USA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
I'll add a third plug for Mr. Jack. For what seems like a simple premise and a board that is set up the same way every time, there can be a remarkable amount of diversity from game to game. It's really quite brilliant how everything is layed out and the abilities of the different characters. Think Chess meets Clue. Some have said that it is unbalanced toward the detective, but I think it's actually balanced quite well once you get the hang of it, and it's fun to play as either side.

The Mrs. and I also enjoy playing this 2 player variant for Settlers, as well as Tikal and 10 Days in the USA.

I am still trying to acquire a taste for 10 Days in the USA but if worse comes to worst, I have the card holders for other games.

I am not really a fantasy fan, but Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation has been fun in the couple of years I own it. It is short, enjoyable, and I can usually talk someone into playing a game.

There is also a review up of Clans right now. It is a little bi-polar, in that you can play it fast and intuitive, or as a total brain burner. IMO, it's a little underrated here.

I am putting Mr. Jack on my list after so many recommendations.

Tikal can be played online for free at http://www.spielbyweb.com and you can see if you like it enough to acquire the meatspace version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Maesen
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, looks like I might have to check out Mr. Jack!! It's gotten a lot of recommendations! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
In no particular order:

Aton - When you have 15 minutes
Goa - For a harder, 1 hr experience
Twilight Struggle - 2 hr wargame
Bonaparte at Marengo - 1 hr wargame
Go - 2 hr abstract

Pick & pack seems promising, but I've only played it once so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Birch
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan
Catan Card Game
Carcassonne
Blokus Travel

Those are my games that come out for 2 players most often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess.shake

Anyway, QUARTO. It's the thinkiest small game easy to learn and teach (I have the wooden edition QUALITY components.) You can be forced to think several moves ahead with another well trained opponent.

Zerts (Oh, favorite implies singular, doesn't it.) Further_anyway, the shrinking board and multiple victory conditions with the added feature of island capture makes this another easily taught deep_think game.

I tend to like games that combine strategy and tactics, and that make you think deeply to derive your move decision. These kinds of two player games are the greatest catharsis I know of. While playing, your brain locks out all the other problems in the mind and in the world.

- Todd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonnie Ricca
United States
Berkeley
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites, in no particular order:

Babel
Kahuna
Twilight Struggle
Attika
Starship Catan
Louis XIV
Notre Dame
Yspahan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of Hellas in the Rio Grande Games 2-player series--excellent replayability due to the customized map generation with hex tiles; very strategic and aggressive as your resources are limited, thus you cannot hope to win soley by defensive "turtling" tactics; and no dice, so the luck factor comes only from clever and efficent use of the three types of "god" cards, as well as the hex tiles as you undertake voyages.

While there are definitely mixed opinions out there regarding this game, I find it a great challenge every time as it continually seesaws back and forth and you constantly have to adjust your focus and priorities.

Good luck! thumbsup

EDIT: I'd second Kahuna, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.