Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I'm not allowed to open my box until Cristmas Day (sigh) I was wondering if it was possible to create a variant which does not use the board but instead uses just the 7 dungeon decks to progress.

I am imagining it as:

A team declares to go in to any specific Dungeon.
Play the Dungeon rules as printed with combat and rewards.
When complete the players theoretically go to a town for a town action, rest, train.

They then keep progressing, taking risks until they feel they're ready to face the Overlord.
I think this could work best as a solo/co-op variant but I see a few issues:

Is there a smooth progression of difficulty with the dungeon decks?
Are the Dungeon rewards and XP good enough to allow levelling?
Still need to track XP somehow, but the smaller Map would suffice I suppose.

I'm looking for someone who knows the decks well enough to see if it could work, else I'll wait until Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Jensen
United States
Belgrade
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be difficult as Shadowfang Keep is the easiest dungeon and heroes should probably be 2nd level before entering it. That said, 3 1st level characters might have a chance at it... haven't tried it.

IF you could complete shadowfang, then you could progress to the Scarlet Monastery at 3rd level. From there you could try one of the two 5th level dungeons and then one of the 3 sixth level dungeons. The jump from the Scarlet Monastery to the 5th level dungeons is very steep though so I'm not sure if its possible and there is only limited treasure in the dungeons so... it would be tough to equip a strong party with "just" dungeon treasure.

Still... might be a fun alternative style game. Not sure if it would work that great but it could be tried.

Judd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
I've found that the character levels printed on the dungeons are intended to prevent players from trying dungeons that are lower than them - not to discourage you against trying one that is higher. A full party of trained first level characters shouldn't have much difficulty in Shadowfang, for example, and I've tackled the Outland dungeons at level 4 - managing to level up between each stage so I was level 6 when I left.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.