Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L Z
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Does this feel too "toyish"? (I don't know if the term is correct). I'd like to play this with my girlfriend, but my concern is that this looks to much playing with toy soldiers than a light wargame/simulation. I could have some difficulties in introduce this to my SO. Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Too
I like the game exactly because of the toy factor. Which, indeed, might be a turn-off to someone not too keen on toy soldiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toyish when all set up?....kind of...but it brings more inquiries than bashing for 'looking' like soldiers. My wime actually thought it looked cool...and she is not a boardgamer at all!
My kids love the game and play it quite a bit with thier friends and is worth the purchase price for me!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Toyish" is something only you and your girlfriend will be able to define when talking about this game. It's all subjective.

Show her as many pictures as you can of the game, or just show her the actual game if you already have it. And some reviews as well...good and bad...then see if she wants to give it a try. It won't hurt to play one game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So because there are miniatures in the game, the game is toyish?

Tell that to historical miniatures wargamers and it will NOT be your best day

MM44 is less toy than Catan or any German trading game for that matter as it opens a gate to more serious wargaming. I am beginning to be fed up with Euro-games that trade 3 woods against 2 gold in a non-existent universe.

Even the (over)simplistic MM44 makes me read about some battles in WW2. I can't say that Ticket to ride makes me want to read about trains

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
but my concern is that this looks to much playing with toy soldiers

Your words, not hers. You are concerned about it looking "toyish". If you like the game and enjoy playing it then it shouldn't be a concern. Perhaps you should first decide if you like it before being concerned with what others think.

Would it be better for you if it had stand up cardboard counters? Do you think that Risk, Axis & Allies, Battle Cry, History of the World and the upcoming War of the Ring are toyish because of toy soldiers in those games?

From experience, I wouldn't introduce a wargame as a first game to play with a girlfriend anyway. Stereotypical or not, they're not as much into war and conflict like males are. Maybe you should start here on Serenissima.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Luca,

yes, believe me... to the average Italian girlfriend this will look "toyish"

Take Walt's advice and try with some other games... "La Città" maybe? cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Z
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
tanis (#48301),
your advices ar useful as always. I will try la Città, but I fear the little or zero interaction between players!

as for other Geeks who replied,
M44 is a game that intrigues me, I'd like to try it, I was not trying to put it down, only to ask if it looks too toyish.
It not true that all boardgames that uses plastic miniatures are the same on "toyish" feeling: Axis & Allies has more a "strategic room map" than playing with toy soldiers. M44 not: it feels like playing with toy soldiers. That could be bad or good, depending on subjective tastes. And please don't let people think M44 is a wargame, that is not.
You must realize that non-gamers always look at games in suspicious way, and it's not easy to take away from them the fear of looking too much childish. I was only saying that this aspect of M44 can put off many people. It's just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Desadier
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mb
LuZa (#48374),

If this is not a wargame, then what is it.

It is a game based on war, therefore it is a wargame, a lite one at that, but a wargame none the less.

I am curious what you think it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
well... Memoir '44 is a nice little game with a lot of plastic toy soldiers that will look toyish to non-gamers that will mock us (at least, here in Italy)... even if we gamers know that in reality it IS a light wargame!

So: YES, it is a wargame, but YES it will look as if it is not to the eyes of non-gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tanis (#49234),

So who cares what other people will think of that??

Just get it...play it...and have fun!

Mock them right back!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
tanis (#49234),
plastic toy soldiers that will look toyish to non-gamers that will mock us (at least, here in Italy)...

Affermo and comprendo proprio quello che tu dice. E un problema culturale. Here in the US, we're just considered geeks and silently revered by onlookers.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.