Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend has agreed to buy me a game for Christmas, but wants me to make a list of the games I want. But now, my mind is drawing a blank! I just can't think of what I want. So, I'm asking for help.

Here's what I know I'm looking for:

0) a game I don't already own
1) a 'gamey' Eurogame about resource management
2) something with nice bits
4) best played with about 4-5 players
5) medium to medium-heavy weight
6) preferably WITHOUT too much of an auction element

Here are some other games I like: Puerto Rico, Alhambra, Thurn & Taxis, Yspahan, Power Grid

Games I'm considering: Princes of Florence, Pillars of the Earth, Leonardo da Vinci, Notre Dame

Are there any other games I should check out? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Keythedral or Caylus would fit the bill. I really like both, although I can't get people to play Caylus as much as I would like. But Keythedral is just a great medium weight Euro with plenty of resource management going on. Scepter of Zavandor might also fit the bill, I really like that one too, although it gets a tad mathy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Pillars of the Earth and Notre Dame annoying because both games are "staged", like Tikal (which I like) but more (to me) intrusively. In both, playing the game well is about memorizing or printing a guide to which cards will appear when--stick with St. Pete.

The obvious game resource management game you're missing is Caylus. Caylus Magna Carta is also good, but 2-4 players. Bits are restricted to cubes and cylinders, though. Both play very well at all numbers, and while heavy, they are easy to learn and understand. Much at the level of Puerto Rico, but without all the exceptional rules (craftsman reward last, etc.)

Amun-Re is a medium-heavy classic, very good--but the general opinion (with which I agree) is that it should only be played with 5. At 5, it can't be beat. I wouldn't play it with 2. Bits are mainly plastic pyramids.

Cleopatra and the Society of Architects is the king of nice bits! (Don't confuse the custom painted bits with the real stuff--the real bits are solid sand-color, except for the solid-colored statues of Anubis and that of Cleopatra. It has about a Ticket to Ride level of luck and heaviness. This is the standard game (less corruption tokens, pyramids, dice, altar, cards), at end of game, in German, but the US game looks the same:

I don't know when the St. Pete expansion will be out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could recommend shogun. From the outside it looks like a wargame, but it really isn't.

And plays best with 4 and 5!

I do consider it a resource management game, and in my opinion it's a eurogame, but I think most people would disagree with me.

It has medium weight and takes about 2 hours to play (once you know the rules)

Check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.