Subject: Rules question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Truong Le
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I've read the rules but haven't had the chance to play the game yet. I have a question concerning the "environment" cards. The rules state that the effect(s) of environment cards are universally applied. My question is this:

Is the effect of an environment card applied to all players at the table, or is the effect applied only to the player who has the environment card played down in front of him?

I'd like to get this question resolved before I spring this game on my boardgame group this coming Friday night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Schultz
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re:Rules question
TXLe (#48033),
Read the cards. Some refer to "you", and some refer to "players" or "whenever a player...". So the answer is, it depends. But it should be pretty obvious from the cards.

By the way, were did you get the game? I got my complete set when troll&toad still had it. If it's still possible to get somewhere, it would be nice to be able to tell people were to get their own copy if they like playing mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truong Le
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
bekudno (#48038),

Ah, makes sense. I'm still unsure about the text on at least one card.

What confused me was the Ace of Swords card "Alpha Project". The text on it reads, "After the next initiative draw, all Environment and Attachment cards in play are discarded." Does it refer to all Environment and Attachment cards in play on the whole table or just the Environment and Attachment cards in play in front of the player with the "Alpha Project" card?

My local store Nan's Games and Comics in Houston, TX had one copy of Mystick Domination Basic Deck and two copies of Mystick Domination Power Deck. I purchased one Basic and one Power Deck. Now I'm in the market for the Mystick Companion Decks. I've asked Nan's to see if they can procur them for me, and they're going to try. I hope they succeed, but that'll be another 40 bucks spent on a pricey game (although it looks like it'll be a great game to own).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truong Le
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
bekudno (#48038),

Another card I'm not sure about is the Two of Swords environment card "Gotterdammerung". The text on this card reads, "While this card is in play, the text boxes of all Major Arcana cards are considered to be blank." Does it refer to all Major Arcana cards on the whole table? Or does it affect only the Major Arcana cards played in front of the player with the "Gotterdammerung" card played in front of him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Schultz
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TXLe (#48077),
I believe both of those are global, affecting all players. In general, "all" refers to everything, not just that player.

You probably don't have to be paying $20 a deck for this. Troll&Toad doesn't have Domination any more, but they still have some Companion. It is $17 for a box, that is 3 Basic decks and 3 Power decks (which would cost $120 at list price). If you could also get a Domination box, you would have a complete set for using the advanced construction rules. A few people here have listed Domination boxes being available for trade or sale, you might try contacting them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truong Le
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
bekudno (#48087),

Thanks for the Troll and Toad tip. Now I regret having overpaid for the two decks I own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truong Le
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
bekudno (#48087),

Have you tried playing with the advanced construction rules? Does it make the game that much better? I'm trying to find out if it would be worth my effort to try to obtain a complete set of 12 decks.

If you feel the advanced-built decks don't add much to the game, I think I might be able to supress my completionist urges enough to be happy with what I've got. (I just ordered from Troll&Toad the companion set, btw).

Thanks so much for your help and advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Schultz
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TXLe (#48111),
Probably you should play for a while with what you have, to be sure you would make use of the full set. I think if you've made some attempts at deck construction with the basic rules, you'll know if it's worth it to use the advanced rules. It gives you a lot more flexibility, and allows more focused decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TXLe wrote:
bekudno (#48087),

Have you tried playing with the advanced construction rules? Does it make the game that much better? I'm trying to find out if it would be worth my effort to try to obtain a complete set of 12 decks.

I hightly recommend picking up as many decks as you can providing you can do so cheaply. The game really shines when you are able to construct your own deck. You can then build strategic decks - decks that try and stall out the game so that you are the last person with cards, decks that try to hoard and discard power to end the game quickly with the most points, killer decks that wipe out everybody else's pawns, etc.

As for your rules question, take the written text literally. If something says "Discard all environment cards" without any other modifiers like "all other players" or "your" or "your opponents", then it really means discard all environment cards in play from all players including yourself.

Enjoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devi "Day" Hughes
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Orange County Board Gamers - come play games with us! http://www.ocbg.net
badge
Prince With A Thousand Enemies
mbmbmbmbmb
>I'm trying to find out if it would be worth my effort to try to obtain a complete set of 12 decks.

Keep in mind that a complete set is made of up FOUR decks, not twelve. The four decks are:

Mystick Domination Basic Deck
Mystick Domination Power Deck
Mystick Companion Basic Deck
Mystick Companion Power Deck

All four decks are standalone, and playable right out of the box (they include rules, etc). The two Basic decks contain cards that have simpler (more straightforward) special abilities than the power decks.

Mystick is NOT a collectible card game in the same sense as Magic the Gathering. Each deck's cards are fixed, not random. If you were to purchase two Mystick Domination Basic Decks, you'd get exactly the same cards in each deck, for example. The decks were sold in display boxes of twelve to retailers, but there's no need for a consumer to purchase a display box, unlike a collectible card game. If you do, you'll just be wasting your money, unless you like having twelve copies of the same card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devi "Day" Hughes
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One correction: the decks were sold in boxes of six to retailers, not twelve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Schultz
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
>Keep in mind that a complete set is made of up FOUR decks, not twelve.

It's true that with 4 decks, you will have one of each card. But you need 3 of each card in order to build decks using the advanced construction rules, which I think is really necessary to get the full strategy of deck building. There are two display boxes, one for Domination and one for Companion. A display box has 3 basic decks and 3 power decks. So a Domination display box and a Companion display box make a complete set under the advanced construction rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devi "Day" Hughes
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bekudno (#48206),

OK, gotcha. My original post was motivated by some earlier confusion on these boards as to the collectible/non-collectible nature of Mystick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bekudno (#48206),

And so in saying this, are you saying that you really need 24 decks if you want 2 players to be able to perform the maximum deck construction (12 for each player)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SlyFrog wrote:
bekudno (#48206),

And so in saying this, are you saying that you really need 24 decks if you want 2 players to be able to perform the maximum deck construction (12 for each player)?

Yep. Each player would want three copies of the four available decks (3xMystick Domination Basic, 3xMystick Domination Power, 3xMystick Companion Basic, and 3xMystic Companion Power). With that, each player can simultaneously build any legal deck that the game of Mystick offers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Schultz
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Though given that 24 decks might be too expensive or too hard to find, I think one set of 12 decks is perfectly workable, especially if you'll mostly be playing with one other opponent. You might occasionally have to decide who gets to use a certain card in their deck, but there are enough cards that this shouldn't happen too often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bryan
United States
Barbourville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the construction rules for the game say that you can only use two suits. so as long as your opponent is willing to use the two suits that you aren't using, you can use just one full set for two players.

Another note, the Major Arcana from both sets are exactly the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.