Popular Tags: [View All]
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently started playing this solitare, and a few things have come up that I would like clarified. I'm fairly sure I'm playing correct, however, the wording of the rules leaves me slightly confused at times.

1. Storms (9.3). Storms affect all ships at sea within three hexes the moving pirate (inclusive of his own hex). What troubles me is the language "inclusive of his own hex." I have interpreted this to mean that the triggering pirates hex is affected, as well as the three hex rings around it (37 hexes total). But, could "inclusive of his own hex" be interpreted to mean that you start counting the radius with the triggering pirates hex, meaning that only his hex and the two hex rings surrounding it would be affected (19 hexes total)?

2. Scurvy (17 C). I think I am doing this correctly, but I want to verify. When scurvy occurs, the ship suffers one point to combat damage, and must subtract two from his status on the crew unrest track. The Captain/KC must also roll to see if they contract scurvy, and they do so on the roll of a one. If a two is rolled, all hostages on board die. Cunning cannot be used to re-roll this roll. Additionally, since the ship suffered one point of comabt damage, the Captain must roll to see if he is injured (13.71), however, cunning can be used on this roll (this can be deadly, as any combination of scurvy, minor, or crippling wound is fatal (13.716)). If a Captain/KC is personally affected by scurvy (not just his ship), his Ratings are reduced by two. I realize what this means for a captain, but I'm less clear what it means for a KC. Does this mean that the KC subtracts two from his combat rolls? DOes he also subtract two from intercept rolls? (I have been playing that two is subtracted form combat rolls, bit note intercept rolls, logic being that scurvy does not affect a pirate captains intercept roll, but does affect his combat roll).

3. Injury (13.71) I've been playing that cunning can be used to re-roll injury rolls, as the cunning rules (22), state that they cannot be used on storms, illness, random placements, or events. I feel that illness and injury are two distinct things, and that illness refers to scurvy. When a pirate receives a crippling wound (13.713) his duel and enduracne ratings are permanently reduced by one. These will not increase even if the wound is recovered from later. His cruelty rating is increased by one (this increase stays even if the wound is recovered from later). All ratings except cruelty are reduced by three until he recovers (for a net reduction of four to his duel and endurance ratings). Even if he later recovers, you must still keep track of the specific crippling injury, becasue if a Captian/KC loses two of any limb/eye he is dead. What is the effect of injuries on a KC? For a minor injury, I have been subtracting two from their combat rolls (but not interception rolls, see above), and for crippling wounds I have been subtracting three from his combat rolls (but not interception rolls).

So, Blackbeard veterans, am I playing correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robt. Ferrett
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
On point 1, I believe it's the latter--this just came up today. Since it's inclusive, it should be the point at which the storm occurs plus 2 more hex rings.

On point 2, I don't think the KC makes a captain roll for scurvy, since there's no captain stats for the KC. The scurvy would only affect the combat rating of the KC.

On point 3...same argument, I don't think you keep track of injuries for a KC.

I feel pretty confident on point 1, points 2 and 3 are my best guess, for what it's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Rob is correct on two and three also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amado Angulo
Germany
M√ľnchen
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the blackbeard rulebook:

"17C1. In addition, each ship affected must make a dr6 to determine if the Pirate Captain/KC himself is ill. If he rolls a "1", he is sick and all of his Ratings are reduced bye two and his Crew Unrest marker lowered by one as if he were wounded until he recovers..."

So I think that the KC must also roll, and I agree with Devon in that the Interception roll is not affected, only the Combat roll.

"13.71 For each point of non-Speed damage sustained by a Pirate/KC from any cause (including Scurvy), that player must make an immediate injury dr6 to determine wether the Pirate Captain/KC himself is injured..."

I understand it just like Devon said in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.