Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not in a position to try this yet, but I believe this will work: Use "Pirates of the Spanish Main" ships for a miniatures version of "Wooden Ships & Iron Men". The key here is:

1) identifying the ships and
2) having an appropriate size board.

For point 1), you could make custom streamers that will insert on the main mast of all but the 1 mast ships (they are sloop-type ships). The informational counters could still be used for their original purposes.

For point 2), from the measurements of the ships, you should be able to get away with the 1.5" hex sea mats from MondayKnight productions (they have taken over the Geo-hex stuff).

(url: http://www.mondayknight.com/ )

The 4'x6' mat comes close to the size, hex-wise, of the board included in WS&IM. They also sell a cheaper 3'x3' mat. If you are uncomfortable with the 1.5" hexes, they also make a 2" hex mat, but you reduce the board size (available hexes) even more.

Lee Williams

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re:WS
That's the first thing that came into my mind when I saw PotSM. After I bought that game and read the rules, it became the only reason for me to keep buying boosters laugh

Yes, I have been thinking about the hex thing myself. I think we need 1-inch hex for the ship. The 4- and 5-masters (which are really 2- and 3-masters, flying-rigs don't count) may be a bit outside the hex but that fine.

I have even written a minature rules to play without hexes or the combat resolution table. All you need are 6 dice, a ruler, a protractor, and the models of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WalterLai (#48392),

I consider a 1" hex to be too small. While the baseline of a 4 mast ship is 2", measuring from aft end to bow with bowsprit end (and dropping aft flag) it is 2 3/4". A five mast ship, similarly measured is 2 1/4" baseline and almost 3 1/2" aft end to bowsprit end. It will be tight enough on 1 1/2" hexes. For me, it would be too tight a fit on 1" hexes. I have tried setting up on my Silent Death map from Geo-hex (1 1/2" hexes) and I find I am comfortable with the fit.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T D
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
ljw74us (#48438),

I'm looking to do this as well, and I'm hoping that one of the chessex mats serves well. Anyone know how many hexes are on the original WS&IM board, and how many are on the various chessex mats? I'll squeeze my large ships into 2 1" hexes if I have to to accomodate the full board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljw74us (#48192),

Update... I have made my board!

I did not go with the sea mat. Instead, I purchased four "Mission Command: Sea" games from KB toys for $4.99 each. With a rotary cutter and a 3' metal ruler, I cut the boards to make one large board (the hexes on the "Mission Command: Sea" board are almost 1 1/2").

The final board is about five rows short horizontally and vertically, but will work. I have labelled the edges of the hex rows and columns to match the WSIM board. I'm short on ships from "Pirates of the Spanish Main" for the larger scenarios, but I should be able to fix that after the next shipments of boosters become available.

If I get a good picture, I'll upload it.

Lee Williams

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
ljw74us (#53541),

"If I get a good picture, I'll upload it."

I would like to see pix of the combined boards. I only bought 1 MC:Sea once I saw the decorative board on the back of the box pix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a cool idea! I was looking at the MC: SEA games yesterday but was thinking about the islands rather than the map. Four of them should cost me about $20 though. I wish you'd had this idea when they had the Buy 2 get 1 free sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Loin o Beef (#53570),

It would have been nice, but here (Raleigh, NC) it took two different KB Toy stores to get the 4 games (two from each), so it would not have helped.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus (#53569),

Ok, I uploaded a picture with the setup of scenario 5 on it. 5 masted ships are a bit tight on the board, so this picture has no 5 masted ships in it.

If you decide to also do this, plan out your cuts very carefully. As you are aware, you only get one shot at a good cut. There are actually 2 cuts per board.

Personally, I like the looks of the finished product.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.