Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Miles
United States
Austin
Texas (TX)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was disappointed to read that Maori: Cannibals at War was removed from GMT's P500 list. I guess the game never got very high on their list, but I had been thinking about it and was waiting to give Conquest a spin before pre-ordering. It seems kind of unfortunate to pull the plug just before a lot of people got Conquest of Paradise in their hands. Any chance of this popping up elsewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Its been on for a long time, it is sad to see because scott seems like such a nice guy and a cool game designer. However given the lack of interest show (I had it pre ordered) and the rather controversal title, I think it might have been for the better. Who know hopefully once scott becomes a millionaire with Conquest of Paradise, everyone will be buying his games, so maybe it will get brough out then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
Its been on for a long time, it is sad to see because scott seems like such a nice guy and a cool game designer. However given the lack of interest show (I had it pre ordered) and the rather controversal title, I think it might have been for the better. Who know hopefully once scott becomes a millionaire with Conquest of Paradise, everyone will be buying his games, so maybe it will get brough out then

You mean Kevin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Disappointing news as this was an interesting game... well i guess it was interesting for a very few folk like me with some localized interest in the topic of the game. Hopefully it will be revived somewhere down the line someday. It's certainly a topic that hasn't been covered very often in wargames. I personally enjoy different and unique themes instead of the 4000th iteration of a WW2 consim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Lau
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Udo Grebe's website, Maori may appear in their Command & Strategy magazine. We'll have to wait and see...

http://www.ugg.de/ (click on Project P500 and scroll down.)

There's also a wargame on a more specific part of New Zealand history, the Maori Land Wars.

Maori Wars: The New Zealand Land Wars, 1845-1872

The designer is apparently in discussion with a wargame company to get this published.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@151.cGmWdSZOwDK.4@.1dd2a...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SouthernMan wrote:
Yes, probably a good move .... GMT would probably have been sued by various Maori actionary groups and individuals for copyright or patent over any remotely indigenous word/phrase/idea/name/image that was used ninja.

Or worse... hunted down and eaten...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You mean Kevin?

Yes, Jon, I do believe that Colin meant to say Kevin.

UGG is considering publishing Maori in their house magazine, called Command and Strategy. Perhaps if Udo hears enough of you, he will be persuaded to do this! Please drop him a line through this web page:

http://www.ugg.de/mail1.php?2

And Tom, I will do my best to have the name changed to the alternate that was suggested here on BGG:

Maori: Warriors of the Long White Cloud

That is, if Udo is pursuaded to publish the game in his magazine by all of you.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...it was mostly to do with honour ... consuming an enemy's mana (prestige), but I may be corrected on that.

That's my understanding, as well, mostly from reading James Belich's Making Peoples, the first half of his two-volume history of New Zealand. Consuming your enemy's mana would also extend the insult (of your victory) to him even beyond the grave.

Quote:
But the alternative title is pretty cool.

I did a search- the title was suggested by Adam Knight here on BGG. I liked it immediately. We'll see what Udo thinks- if he agrees to take it on. If not, I suppose we won't have to worry about a title that is never published.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Much prefer the alternate name kevin. Yeah adam is a pretty onto it dude, trust him to think of a good name . Goodluck, I'll definitely preorder it who ever it gets picked up by, I've been condsidering Maori wars as well, but I'm not sure. I like the pre western colonization theme of your one. Hopefully we will have conquest of paradise soon and all will be as it should be too.

ps... I'm not sure why I typed scott before I did mean kevin, man I need to proof read what I write

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Miles
United States
Austin
Texas (TX)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went ahead and sent them an e-mail. I printed the rules for Maori out a long time ago and have been looking forward to it in conjunction with Conquest of Paradise. I'd happily order it in magazine or any other form.

And Warriors of the Long White Cloud is a wonderfully poetic title, much better than the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your support, Paul! And Colin, you can make it up to me by pestering Udo, just like Paul did... Maybe even promise to subscribe to his magazine if he prints Maori in the thing.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I emailed UGG that I would purchase two copies for our game club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Udo plans to spread the printing of Maori over more than one issue. Not as many as he did for Pearl Harbor (which took what, five or six issues?) but at least two issues, and maybe as many as four. He is in the business of selling magazines, (and games) after all. Well, that is, if he prints it at all: he needs to be convinced that having Maori in his magazine will make it sell.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, it would probably be spread over two issues. The game map would require four sections, each one a "centerfold" of the magazine. Udo has done two of these per magazine for several sections of his Pearl Harbor game, so that's probably how he'll handle Maori. There are two counter sheets for Maori, so one sheet each issue. And then the rules could be in one issue, and the charts, tables, and historic notes in another. And I'd write a nifty article for the magazine, too.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KMcPartland wrote:

Maori: Warriors of the Long White Cloud

That is, if Udo is pursuaded to publish the game in his magazine by all of you.

Kevin

I do like the alternate title much better. I already sent an E-mail expressing my interest in having Maori printed in the magazine.

I'm still interested in having Conquest of Paradise in my hands ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.