Simon Andersen
Denmark
Valby
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions:

A) If a single, friendly PC in a port is surrounded by enemy PCs, does it count as isolated (or can PCs in ports never be isolated?)?

B) If PCs in ports can be isolated (and not trace a line to the port in its own space so to speak), is it then enough to have a PC marker in each of two connecting ports (so that they can 'trace' a line to each other) to avoid isolation, even though the two ports are completely surrounded by enemy PCs?

C) If an isolated PC is placed with friendly CUs, is it still removed (in other words: does the PC in question have to trace a line of at least one space to a friendly port, CU or walled city in order not to be removed?)?

D) When playing a strategy card to place PCs, can you really place them in ANY empty space on the board?

E) As a sub question to d: what justifies this sudden upspring of political influence in territories far away from friendly provinces historically?

Think that's it. Looking seriously forward to getting into this game.

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
a) Ports are never isolated. They trace back through the sea to other ports.

b) n/a since they aren't isolated.

c) to be consider NOT isolated, you must be able to trace a line to a CU, a walled city, a friendly tribe, or a port (all friendly or controlled by you). If the CU is in your space, then the PC is not isolated.

d) yes.

e) I am not completely sure. But from my limited understanding of the era and what the game protrays, everyone is aware of the struggle and debating which side to join. So just because a space may be far away from the action, doesnot mean it does not know what is going on. Envoys could have been sent to sway them to support that sidea cause, or the presence of one side so close could have prompted them to flip sides.

The thing to keep i mind is that a card may allow you to place PCs anywhere, but if this space is going to end up isolated (which sounds to be the case in your example), then it is going to be removed anyway. So I think this balances out in the game and nudges you away from putting them "just any where." Some thought needs to go into how to keep them around a tthe end of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simombo wrote:

E) As a sub question to d: what justifies this sudden upspring of political influence in territories far away from friendly provinces historically?

Because everyone wants to join the winning side? Carthage was simply allied to Numidia, and some cities on the Italian peninsula had significant Greek influence, I think? Edit: I also think there was some Libyan/Numidian drama, who were both allied to Carthage, at least according to the Pride of Carthage.

And the Spanish area had only recently (historically speaking) fell under Carthaginian control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The thing to keep in mind is that a card may allow you to place PCs anywhere, but if this space is going to end up isolated (which sounds to be the case in your example), then it is going to be removed anyway. So I think this balances out in the game and nudges you away from putting them "just any where." Some thought needs to go into how to keep them around at the end of the turn.

Just because the PC marker will go away at the end of the turn (if you don't do anything about it) doesn't mean it is not a good idea to place it during the turn. You may want to prevent your opponent from claiming a majority of spaces in the province during the turn by placing PCs with OPs points. If he really wants it he will have to take it with an army costing him two cards of activation vice the one card if it was neutral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.