David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Portland/Vancouver Area Secret Santa

Updated for 2009!

I am pleased to announce our third annual local Secret Santa for those people in the Portland metro area who would like to participate in a gift exchange with local gamers.

Here are the guidelines that I will be using (mostly stolen directly from Tom Vasel's and Tami Whitsett's posts for their Secret Santa events last year).

1) I invite everyone from the Portland metro area to join, closing it to entries on November 27th. At that point, each person involved will have a random name of another player sent to them. Players should check the BGG profile and choose a game off of that person's wishlist and purchase it, so that it arrives by December 17th.

2) You should buy one game for the person who you are giving a gift to, and not a dinky game like a card game - use Dominion or Notre Dame as a good control measure. However, there is no problem with going above and beyond - buying two, three, or even more games! Personalizing the gift somehow can be a really nice touch as well.

3) All involved should update their wishlist (NOT want list) of games. Please have at least ten currently available games on your list, and try to have some of them fall within a reasonable price range. If you only have high priced, hard-to-find games on your list, don't be surprised when you don't get them.

4) Secret Santa is all about the giving, not the getting, so be prepared that the person who is giving you a gift may not do so. Most people involved in these events do a good job, but people do sometimes flake out or have other life events take precedence. On the other hand, I urge you NOT to join the Secret Santa unless you plan to give a gift; this isn't "get a free game for nothing" club.

5) There will be a gift exchange event at either SE Lucky Lab on Thursday, December 17th at 7 pm, or at Guardian Games on Sunday, December 27th at 1 pm (I will select a time and place based on participant preference). Packages should be wrapped and have the player’s name clearly written on them. We will have a gift table for people to drop their presents when they arrive. Gifts will be distributed, and there will be much rejoicing (and probably some game-playing as well). If you can’t make that event, but still want to participate, let me know - I would be willing to help get packages to their destination.

6) To sign up for this event, please GeekMail me with a note asking to be added onto the Portland Area Secret Santa list. I will confirm within 24-48 hours that I have received your request. Please let me know your preference of location and date for the gift exchange.

8) If you have already signed up for another Secret Santa, and can only afford to be in one, then you MUST stick with the other one, so as not to create a bunch of extra work for the administrators (especially Aldie and Tom Vasel), as well as to not subtract from the work that Tom has done to create this thing in the first place.

9) Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!!

Happy gaming!

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
do we have a date on gift exchange yet? My preference is the 27th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Smith
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also like to know if we have a date for this yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
With less that half of the participants weighing in, there is a slight preference for Guardian Games on the 27th. I'm happy to be at both meetups, so I can act as a courier for anyone who can make the Lab on the 17th, but not Guardian on the 27th.

So ...

I will be at the Lab on the 17th, ready to play games and pick up gifts from anyone who can't make it on the 27th.

The official exchange will be at Guardian Games on the 27th. Let me know if you can't make it, and I will hold your gift for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Well, it's 7 months after Christmas, and we just wrapped up this year's Secret Santa - beating last year's marathon by about two months. I had to fill in for a deadbeat Santa and made the final delivery today.

Here's hoping everyone follows through next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. H.
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! That is extremely generous and wonderful of you David. Kudos to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for finally getting it all pulled together David! Even if the "Secret" part got left out this time around! Looking forward to giving all the goodies a try!

Gosh, we are about 4 months away from these years Secret Santa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.