Popular Tags: BGGCon [+] [View All]
Jeff W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a great time at this year's BGG.CON. I was especially pleased about being able to try out many of the new Essen releases.

Here are a couple of suggestions for the future:

1. Make the CON longer. For those of us travelling, it works out better if the CON is longer.

2. Have a "hot games" area. I was continually frustrated trying to get in on the "hot games" (Agricola, Galaxy Trucker) this year. Sometimes the games are not in the library and not being played. I would suggest having a few (maybe 5) tables which are designated the hot games area.

a. When a game ends, the next game can start right up.
b. If there is no interest in the game (no game starts up within say 15 minutes), then the game can be put back into the library.
c. (optional) You can have a signup sheet for the next game at the table. This could be used to resolve conflicts when the next game starts up.
d. (optional) You can have a signup sheet at the library for those who want a game but it is checked out. When the signup sheet gets "long", it becomes a candidate for the "hot games".

I think the advantages of this system is that people know where the "hot games" are and don't have to wander all around looking for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Loyd
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto on the hot games idea.

I also would vote for the Con being longer. I would really like it to start on Wed. By the time I participate in a few scheduled events, the Con seems like it is almost over!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manhattandoctor wrote:
Another suggestion: Sell BGG sweatshirts. Damn, it was cold.

It was a little brisk sometimes. On the other hand, I was positively dripping sweat during the 1000 Blank White Cards game - I think the hotel had the AC off in the Oak room in the wee hours. The main room got a little warm when it was fully packed too.

BGG sweatshirts are a good idea, but please don't ask the hotel to make it any warmer. You can always put more clothes on, but there's a limit to how much you can take off... (cue inappropriate geek humor here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I like the Hot Games area. Kinda hard to determine what they'll be, but it's still a great idea. As for the cold/sweatshirts... prolly not. It's Texas after all.

And Wednesday. Interesting idea. We'll discuss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Loyd
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:
And Wednesday. Interesting idea. We'll discuss.

Cool.

Actually, I hadn't thought much about it before Junesen started this thread. But, on reflection, it seems there were more scheduled and organized activities this year than last. The ones I participated in were a blast but they ate up quite a bit of time. And, making it to the event on time meant suspending or delaying my open gaming. If I had to guess, I would think that next year would hold even more cool, organized sessions. But, that equals less open gaming, at least for me.

GoF has probably set the ceiling at 10 days or whatever it is. So, maybe going to 4.5 days (counting Sunday as .5 at best) would be well received. It also might get a few more people to invest in an airplane ticket. Given the length of the registration line an hour before the Con opened is some evidence that people are dying to get started!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Loyd
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pwn3d wrote:

Why have a registration line for badges?

Just send out a link with a pdf and we can print out our badges ourselves. Or have the badges mailed out.

Then there could be a line for the prize tables and raffle tickets.

They also give out a goodie bag, too. But, I think the line really is for the welcome gifts. Getting a red ticket and picking your choice off the good table is highly coveted! So, bottom line, there will still be a long line, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
The only suggestion I would have is not to expand the number of particpants. We were brimming at the seams at times. Especially when the second ballroom was closed. Other than that, perfect.

I like the idea of adding Wednesday a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My only suggestion is to have the usernames and avatars a little bit larger on the name badges.

Adding Wednesday? Gah. I mean, that is totally cool, and I'm just trying to figure out how my body could handle even less sleep...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote to maintain the current length of the con.

There was enough table space the problem was inefficient use. People pretty much played one game to a table when, in some cases, two games would fit. Not sure what to do about that though.

The gg cards from vendors was a brilliant idea. It makes me want to do something similar for game explainers. I can't tell you how valuable it is to have some random person stop to explain a game for you. There should be some reward for that samaritan. I wish there was a way that I could give a "game explainer" chip to everybody who explained a game to me. Maybe each chip could be cashed in for 1 gg or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vickie Watson
United States
Madison
Mississippi
flag msg tools
ratpfink wrote:
My only suggestion is to have the usernames and avatars a little bit larger on the name badges.

Adding Wednesday? Gah. I mean, that is totally cool, and I'm just trying to figure out how my body could handle even less sleep...

I will look into making the avatars and usernames on the name badges larger for BGG.con2008.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Isakson
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A thought I had mentioned to Randy - for the raffle and prize drawings, why not have cards with peoples names on them (similar to the library cards) that are taken and put into the drawing container when they check in, rather than the "raffle tickets with numbers" method now in use?

This would prevent people losing their tickets (I lost mine the first night, so from that point on prize drawings were much less interesting), and it wouldn't add any more work during the con itself - although prep work MIGHT be a bit more complicated, it's obviously do-able since the Geek Library cards are there.

Just a thought - mainly looking for a way to prevent the problem of lost tickets, and having the drawing be tied to the BADGE rather than a separate ticket would do the trick.

It would also seem a bit "nicer" or "cooler" to be called up by name, rather than by a number.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Collins
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I didn't go, but someone should send out a post poll to bggers who did go asking them what they liked and didn't like. That should help next year's planning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the hot table idea. Getting some games from the library was tough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the "Hot Games" table. I wandered around the tables asking if copies of Agricola were library copies or personal copies. The personal copies were never offered up for play, and the people who had the library copies kept saying they were going to use it again just after this game. It was frustrating.

Thankfully, Tom McCorry was incredibly generous with his copy, teaching numerous games in a row, and even letting five of us play while he went out for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
junesen wrote:
1. Make the CON longer. For those of us travelling, it works out better if the CON is longer.

You know, I kinda like Wednesday as the "unofficial" con day. I think we could probably open a thread of all people attending, and probably get enough people around to have a extra day of the con.

We did have a little problem in that the common areas were patrolled a bit, so it may be better just to have some rooms available that people can migrate between. Otherwise, the whole con will be invading the small amount of open space.

Quote:
2. Have a "hot games" area. I was continually frustrated trying to get in on the "hot games" (Agricola, Galaxy Trucker) this year. Sometimes the games are not in the library and not being played. I would suggest having a few (maybe 5) tables which are designated the hot games area.

a. When a game ends, the next game can start right up.
b. If there is no interest in the game (no game starts up within say 15 minutes), then the game can be put back into the library.
c. (optional) You can have a signup sheet for the next game at the table. This could be used to resolve conflicts when the next game starts up.
d. (optional) You can have a signup sheet at the library for those who want a game but it is checked out. When the signup sheet gets "long", it becomes a candidate for the "hot games".

I think the advantages of this system is that people know where the "hot games" are and don't have to wander all around looking for the game.

YES! I totally agree. I almost think it needs a brunch sign-up sheet too. Sign up, and read down the list to see who wants to play. If the designer / publisher was willing to host and teach it, then it would have a lot of play and publicity/buzz around it.

Derk wrote:
I like the Hot Games area. Kinda hard to determine what they'll be, but it's still a great idea. As for the cold/sweatshirts... prolly not. It's Texas after all.

You'd want the new Essen releases. Those were the ones that people wanted to play.

While I'd say that sweatshirts might be cheap to buy (since it is Texas), the T-shirts weren't selling as much. So it's probably not a good idea to invest in that.

pwn3d wrote:
ust send out a link with a pdf and we can print out our badges ourselves. Or have the badges mailed out.

I'd worry about people showing up with homemade badges. I know when I worked on a con, they changed the badge design each year and kept it secret to avoid those who wanted to pretend they had paid.

loiosh13 wrote:
A thought I had mentioned to Randy - for the raffle and prize drawings, why not have cards with peoples names on them (similar to the library cards) that are taken and put into the drawing container when they check in, rather than the "raffle tickets with numbers" method now in use?

Hey, that's pretty easy to implement. But there is some charm to the way Derk reads the numbers.

---

The only thing I'm thinking about is renting a car and organizing food runs. It's sometimes good to get away for a bit, and it's a good way to actually get to know some people you met playing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
arkibet wrote:
The only thing I'm thinking about is renting a car and organizing food runs. It's sometimes good to get away for a bit, and it's a good way to actually get to know some people you met playing games.

I was kind of thinking the same thing! If I have to eat at Denny's again in 2008, 2009, 2010... etc, it will be TOO soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
xandryyte wrote:
arkibet wrote:

I was kind of thinking the same thing! If I have to eat at Denny's again in 2008, 2009, 2010... etc, it will be TOO soon!

This is good to know. I am trying to organize some sort of "geeks with cars...geeks without cars" program where we could organize food runs better. I agree, its almost a crime to make someone eat at Denny's for a week.

Stay tuned as the event grows closer.

-ikiru

*enjoy the sauce*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.