StarCraft: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Cloaking....how i think it should've been rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yoong Ken Yen
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally I think the game gels well with the overall theme of Starcraft and its video game counterpart. Of all the game mechanics, the only one I didn't think gel-ed well, was the Cloaking rule. In the boardgame, Cloaking was used as a sort of "retreat" mechanism that allows you to save your unit that would otherwise would've been destroyed. Sure on rare occasions you would use cloaking to escape in the video game, but usually its more for offensive purposes like ambushing an enemy with burrow, attacking a detector-less convoy of siege tanks with your wraiths, etc. Sadly this didn't translate into the boardgame.

How I would've interpreted cloaking ability:

Cloaked attack should be included as a reinforcement card in the technology deck. The effects of the card are played immediately after combat cards are revealed on both sides.

The text on the card/or redefinition of cloaking in the rulebook would read something like this: "Move a Wraith or Ghost you own from a space on the planet or an adjacent planet into this skirmish and immediately assign it either as frontline (moving the previous frontline into the support) or into the support. Maximum unit cap must be adhered. The effects of this card is only playable if there are no detectors in this battle".

As a sort of balance, notice I also changed the "detector" ability as well to allow it to detect all cloaked units in the battle rather than just in one skirmish as this can be easily countered and abused by attackers by assigning skirmishes with non-detector units. If there's a global detector ability, it'll be abit harder...and detectors in the game are very rare in the 1s place. The original rules of Cloaking to retreat can also be applied with this card.

I gave a terran example, and I think it'll work well with Zerg's burrow ability and as well as the Protoss' Arbiter.

Protoss player: "Gee i guess i'll just move this Arbiter here and assign this Guardian to fight it."

Zerg player: "Oh boy....you're bringing in your cloaked Carrier and Archon to fight it aren't you?"

Protoss player: "Hoo hoo...we open our cards and you'll find out."

Any opinions? Maybe someone thinks its imba and would suggest balance rules? Just for sake of discussion really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!- some pretty cool ideas! It would certainly make it more tense and relate to the "Cloaking" ability as per the pc game more accurately but then again, I believe all the cards abilities (and techs) were done in a more abstract/flavor geared towards a more stream-lined battle system!

Kind of like a "Rock-Scissor-Paper" approach. (just makes things easier and faster to play out!)- same goes for the reasons of having "No-dice" in combat too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's so bad. It's simple as it is, and you can use it offensively. The fact that you can choose your target on the offense and avoid detectors (except observers and scanner sweep) allows you to play a card with big attack and low life. Those kind of cards tend to result in "both die" situations when equal units do battle, but if you have cloaking then "both die" becomes you die. Basically, being able to neglect your defenses allows you to focus on offense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoong Ken Yen
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
I don't think it's so bad. It's simple as it is, and you can use it offensively. The fact that you can choose your target on the offense and avoid detectors (except observers and scanner sweep) allows you to play a card with big attack and low life. Those kind of cards tend to result in "both die" situations when equal units do battle, but if you have cloaking then "both die" becomes you die. Basically, being able to neglect your defenses allows you to focus on offense.

Hence if interpreted into theme, it just means that you're using cloaking to do hit and run attacks rather than for ambush attacks that is another aspect of cloaking from the video game. I mean do you use burrow to save your zergs or arbiter's ability to save your units? Usually not. Just a random thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Ziegler
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
i like the idea, but think of it this way, remember that ghost's and wraiths had energy, which would run out, so they had to run away if they were going to "uncloak" themselves, or they would die. and for protoss and zerg, detectoers would eventually come, explaing their run away. but i will try your idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.