Popular Tags: [View All]
Howard Wagner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find the answer to this anywhere, but the witch can assume the rest of a character's turn after that character takes his action (take two gold or take two cards and discard one). What exactly can the player with the witch do then? Does the player with the witch actually take the other player's cards and play a card with that players cards if he wants? Does the witch use that players cards for bonuses, etc., or his own cards? I'm confused. If possible, please give examples. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Ashby
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, after they take an action they lose the rest of their turn, and YOU then take YOUR (postponed) turn, with the option of using that character's ability. Make sense? It's still YOUR turn you take, not someone else's, it was just postponed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitford
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had this same question...but I'm still not completely clear on it. So, is the witch allowed to build on both her turn and the bewitched character's turn? Or just on one or the other?

Here's an example of how I think it should play...correct me if I'm wrong:

#1's turn (the witch): take action (card or gold), build if you want to, choose a bewitched player (for this example, let's bewitch the Merchant)...end of turn.

#2, #3, #4, and #5 take their turns as normal.

When the Merchant is called, the #6 player takes his action (card or gold), and the witch gains his special ability. Which, I'm guessing would be to collect on green properties.

And that's it. Right? Of course, this leaves me to wonder if anyone should have taken the additional gold that's part of the Merchant's special ability. By this time, the witch had taken her action and the #6 player technically doesn't have this special ability...so that bit is in limbo.

I really like the idea of the witch, but it'd really help to have some official examples of how her turns should work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wiens
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that the witch can build on her turn. I think she takes an action, names a character to bewitch, and ends her turn. Her turn is then completed with the bewitched characters ability on that characters turn. So why would the witch do this? To keep the bewitched player from using the ability, to protect the witch herself from being robbed by the theif, to have the ability to take the architects (for example) ability if that card has already been selected by another player...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with clockwirk. The Witch gets to take her action, and then, that's it.

She comes out ahead if the person she tries to bewitch comes into play. Then that character loses the 2nd half of his turn, while she gets to use his abilities for herself. Of course, one could argue you could just select the character you wanted in the first place, but then, the character may not have been available during selection. You're also protected from getting robbed as the Witch.

If the bewitchee is not called, then she comes out behind, as she was only able to take an action that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Smith
New Zealand
flag msg tools
The way I've played it:

#1 Witch plays her action (take card or gold) then nominates victim - let's say it's the Warlord. The Witch then pauses their turn, waiting to see if their victim is in play.

#2 - #7 have their turns as usual
#8 The Warlord plays their action (take gold or card). At this point, the Witch continues the turn. Since the Warlord is the victim, the 'Witch' may draw income off any Red buildings that she has in play and may use the Warlord ability to knock down another building (including one of the 'Warlord's' buildings).

Note that the Witch may actually lose the build/spend phase of her turn (if her intended victim is one of the discarded Avatars).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fuller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
-The witch takes gold or cards

-The witch continues her turn as a normal turn OR
She chooses a number/name character to bewitch and ends her turn.

-When that number/character is called to act he takes an action and then his turn immediately ends. The Witch takes over the remainder of the turn as that character. The witch can now build and utilize any of the bewitched characters functions that take place after they take their action. This means that she can use their bonuses and *abilities or even as the emperor choose the new king and gain the gold/card or as the thief steal gold for herself from a target.
THAT IS THE PROPER WAY

I GIVE YOU OPTIONS IF YOU FEEL THIS IS TOO STRONG
OPTION#1
Some abilities happen before the take an action occurs but the witch says "player MUST take an action then immediately end his turn". This does not allow for any abilities that occur before the take an action since it tells you what to do but it can be played that while not able to use *special abilities any written ability that occurs automatically before take an action still occurs could take place.
examples:
warlord/diplomat get gold for red districts
bishop/abbot get gold for blue districts
king/emperor get gold for gold districts
merchant gets gold for green districts

OPTION#2
You could, if you like, slightly alter it by allowing the character to take an action AND ignore the immediately and allow for a *special action and then end the turn. Then the witch takes over. Then you could also choose whether or not the witch could use the *special action again after the character did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.