I finally got around to playing Tower Siege after owning it for some time. The card quality is great, and the combat mechanism is very logical (using percentile dice = D10s), but as others have already experienced, some rules questions are inevitable. Here are some of mine:
1. Can you attack with Minions the same turn that you bring them into play? (i.e. no summoning sickness like MtG?)
2. If you fail your attack roll against your opponents Tower, and he succeeds in his defence roll, is there any riposte? Or does the counter-attack only apply to attacks on creatures and the Mage, and not structures?
3. How exactly does the "Defend" position work, and what are its implications? Some more specific questions about this:
a) When do defending creatures have to be placed in the Defend position?
b) Can a creature defend against more than one attacker the same turn? Or if you have been placed it in a Defend position, is it done defending that round?
c) If your opponent's creature is in the Attack position, can it be used to Defend the next turn? (eg as a blocker against a Melee attack against a tower?) i.e. if your opponent commits all his Minions to attack, does this mean that nothing can block your attack against his Tower on your turn?
d) If your opponent's creature is in the Attack position from the previous turn, can you make a melee, targetted or directed attack against it on your turn? Or can you only attack another creature, or your opponent's Tower, and creatures that attacked in your opponents turn ineligible to defend or be targets of attack?
4. Can a Mage make a melee attack each turn?
5. Can the Mage use its Powerbolt ability multiple times each turn as well as making a melee attack?
6. When exactly is something a Melee attack, a Directed attack, or a Targetted attack?
The way combat is resolved using the percentile dice works well, but I could benefit from some more clarity about the mechanics of attacking and blocking. An example of play would be very useful to help understand the game properly, but meanwhile I'd appreciate any pointers on the above rules questions! Thanks in advance!
- Last edited Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:41 pm (Total Number of Edits: 2)
- Posted Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:54 am
The game designer has been kind enough to send me the following answers to my questions above:
Nick Scott wrote:
2. No, unless a 01-02 are rolled, then the mage makes an attack from the safety of the tower.
a) After they defend from an melee attack or directed attack
b) No, Only one defend per creature, unless they have been targeted by multiple attackers or spell attacks.
c) Yes! A creature can both attack and defend in a round.
d) On your turn, you can target whatever creature or structure you want as long as you have the ability to. i.e. Powerbolt or Tunneling etc...
6. Melee=me punching you in the face. Directed = Me punching your sister in the face and you cant do anything about it unless you can specifically block that type of attack with the same ability, ie. Tunneling vs Tunneling... Targeted = I throw a rock at you and you cant block it with another creature like your sister!
Thank you Nick!