Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Soon Louis
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now completed a couple of games playing the Allies using all optional rules except for:
24. Leader Units
31. Variable Shift
34 Accelerated Allied Leader Reaction

I have lost both games and in my "objective" opinion, ha ha, most of the optional rules favour the Germans. I am curious as to what you gamers out there that have played this game a lot think? With the optional rules, do you think the game favours the Allies or the Germans?

Also, I don't see how the Americans can hold Bastogne unless the Leader Units option is used. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Heller
United States
Barrington
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Soon - The game is intended to be played with all optional rules, so I will answer from that perspective. As stated in the Designer's Notes, there is a learning curve to playing the Allies competitively. Once you have game play experience under your belt, you will find the scenarios slightly favor the Allied Player. The same holds true for the campaign game.

As an aside, if the German Player commits a panzer corps, or even a panzer division plus accompanying infantry and artillery, Bastogne will fall. It will take some game-turns of reduction before that happens. In reality, the same would have occurred. But the Germans left the capture of the town to an infantry division, a panzer grenadier regiment, and some artillery. By the time large scale German forces were committed to its destruction, it was too late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not consider myself an expert with this game but I can add that it has seen many years of play, including substantial tournament play. The 4th edition has a reputation as not having many holes in the rules. It is unlikely there is a strong bias either way considering the amount of discussion this game has received on Consimworld.

Some war-games are asymmetrical because of historical simulation considerations and some due to design issues. The issue that I see in many war-games is the sides are not equally easy to play, which is not necessarily the same thing. Frequently it is easier to win with the defender until a player gets more experienced with the game and leans how to maximize the forward momentum of the attacker. I have found this to be true generally with Bulge games but not so much with Bitter Woods. I would agree it feels like the Axis has a slight advantage but that could be due to my level of experience with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.